The Galaxy Note Edge... The Good, The Bad The Ugly..

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
samsung-unpacked-galaxy-note-edge-9_2040_verge_super_wide.jpg

I think the Edge is awesome . Sure there are pluses and minuses. I like the idea of having icons for apps and features easily accessible. I like the camera function displayed in the curved area.
I wonder how well a screen protector will work with this device.. I am concerned about dropping it on the edge.

What are your thoughts?

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Sammy added some very cool edge features...

An edge-display widgets, too, including a stopwatch and a timer. My favorite is the ruler, which you can toggle between centimeters and inches.

You can also customize the wallpaper for the edge, selecting from any photo (or a combination of photos) and a series of filters. Moving the phone back and forth will move the image slightly. This effect is actually incredibly cool.

If you're a lefty, you don't need to wait for Samsung to release a left-handed version. Just flip the phone upside-down, and the entire display will rotate 180 degrees. Of course, the home button will be on top, but you can't have everything.

When the main display is showing the home screen, the edge defaults to a go-to column of apps, which you can customize. The icons fade away when you're in an app, but you can bring them back with a swipe of your thumb, and then a single tap will switch you over. It's arguably faster and more natural than going through Android's app switcher.

As stated above.. It will be interesting to see what the screen protector folks come up with...

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think it will be difficult to find a case that will provide really good protection and still allow that edge to be used.

Reactions: cr6

wcjeep

Reaction score
I like it. Not in the market for a new phone. Not really into phablets. The Edge is still cool

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I think it will be difficult to find a case that will provide really good protection and still allow that edge to be used.
Let's see how innovative the case manufactures are.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's see how innovative the case manufactures are.
A case with a thicker lip along the curved edge would provide better protection while not hindering performance or feel. It'd require a little different shape than normal for the ergonomics, but probably just a little more concaved on the back edge of the lip for the finger to naturally fit into while holding the phone.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

silverfang77

Reaction score
It's very handy to have. I love having extra space for frequently used apps. One thing I dislike though is that the phone tends to turn itself on if I touch the edge too long while it's in standby.