S3 MHL Adapter Issues

3DrinksAhead

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently bought an MHL adapter for my Galaxy SIII, before I knew that Samsung required a "special" MHL adapter for the S3. So, I went out and also ordered that little $10 tip that converts the old 5-pin adapter to the 11-pin one. However, I'm still having issues even after using this. When I connect my phone to the adapter tip, to the MHL adapter, to the HDMI cable to the TV, and also connect the power source, I'm just seeing a black screen on my TV. The phone 'knows' that it is connected, because 1) it is charging and 2) the phone will go in landscape mode on the homescreen. The TV knows that something is connected, because I don't get a blue 'no signal' screen, but instead just a totally black one.

My TV is about 3 and a half years old. It is a 42" Vizio that can output 1080p. I'm really struggling with figuring out what might be causing these issues. Could my TV be too old? I bought some really cheap ($3 each) HDMI cables online, could it be an issue with the cables? I also tried testing out the same set up on my 32" Emerson TV, but that only outputs 720p and I'm not sure if an MHL adapter would work on 720p.

Any troubleshooting thoughts & ideas would be appreciated.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I have ordered the tip, but it is two weeks back. I hope you figure out what the problem is before I get mine, but if not i will let you know any experiences i have. I should think that the MHL adapter would work on any hd tv regardless of 1080 or 720p. Sounds like a cable issue.

OP

3DrinksAhead

Reaction score
Thanks, after playing around with the setup last night I was able to get it to work on my 42incher in 1080p. Pretty sweet setup for now, at least until that Allshare Cast Dongle comes out. I've yet to try it again on the 720p tv, but will give it a shot again and let you know.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out. Was it a cable issue, or a phone setting? I just want to try to avoid the same issue.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thanks, after playing around with the setup last night I was able to get it to work on my 42incher in 1080p. Pretty sweet setup for now, at least until that Allshare Cast Dongle comes out. I've yet to try it again on the 720p tv, but will give it a shot again and let you know.

Awesome. Glad to hear it's working. Getting one of the adapters is definitely a cheaper way to go, particularly for those who already have a MHL cable that doesn't work with the S3.

OP

3DrinksAhead

Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out. Was it a cable issue, or a phone setting? I just want to try to avoid the same issue.

Definitely a cable issue. First time I connected my phone to the adapter, turned my TV to the proper HDMI channel, and waited for a while but nothing happened, except a black screen. Then I disconnected the phone and re-connected it, and it popped up on the screen in a few seconds.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Definitely a cable issue. First time I connected my phone to the adapter, turned my TV to the proper HDMI channel, and waited for a while but nothing happened, except a black screen. Then I disconnected the phone and re-connected it, and it popped up on the screen in a few seconds.
Awesome. Thanks for the knowledge. Now i wait for mine.