Response from the FSF and a possible alternative legal recourse

mcsinfl

Reaction score
This is going to be such a gray area that if this ever made it to any sort of court, the winner would be the side with the best representation, not the side that's "right".

best representation and the most money.

also consider the possible military useage of these phones, just read another thread pointing to this article:
Smartphones could be latest battle accessory - Yahoo! News
i think military would want big-time encryption, and google/android/motorola are already working with the military on developing something if you believe the article...another argument they have for secure platforms.

OP
Darkseider

Darkseider

Reaction score
This is going to be such a gray area that if this ever made it to any sort of court, the winner would be the side with the best representation, not the side that's "right".

best representation and the most money.

also consider the possible military useage of these phones, just read another thread pointing to this article:
Smartphones could be latest battle accessory - Yahoo! News
i think military would want big-time encryption, and google/android/motorola are already working with the military on developing something if you believe the article...another argument they have for secure platforms.

Encrypting the wireless traffic yeah but the bootloader, no. Sorry I have a problem with paying for something and then not owning it. Your scenario however unlikely is plausible. That being said who is to say that there isn't something like that going on right now using motoblur and moto profiling and scanning messages for targetted ads and promotions? Again there is no way of knowing. Point is if I could do with it as I please I can ensure that ONLY what I want is on the phone. Custom ROM, custom AOSP kernel and whatever apps to follow. Not the ones that some corporation deems "approved".