making a wifi for my nook color

gretdame

Reaction score
we live in the country and there is no wifi near us. I got a Nook color for Christmas and can't download anything since.
Someone told me I could use something called pdanet with my droid x to create a wifi hot zone to us.
How would one do that,

mr_silent

Reaction score
What are you running on your Droid X? PDAnet is for AT&T customers and wifi hotspot is a feature provided by the carrier. If your rooted you'll be able to tether your connection using either the wifi tether apps(2 choices) or wired tether for usb tethering.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
You can use either pdanet or easy tether apps but both are only via USB. If you r rooted you can use wifi tether/barnicle tether for wireless wifi directly from ur device.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
G

gretdame

Reaction score
the one I downloaded said it was for droid. I need directions on how to set it up. teetering won't work in need the wfif for my nook color as my computer is running on a verizonwireless 4g modem but I can only get 3 g here. and there are no wifi spots near. I have no idea how to set it up using my droid x and the wifi.
someone once said pretend I am a very dumb student and need everything taught to me. LOL

mr_silent

Reaction score
Wifi tether is easier to use I believe. It let's you use the droid x's wifi to connect to a laptop or pc and then you'll use the phones 3g to connect to the web. Wired tether is just as easy, plug in the usb, open the app and push the icon to start.
If you don't feel comfortable with rooting, then use the pdanet, sorry, don't know much about that app as it was always my impression that it was for AT&T customers.

louy99

Reaction score
I would root your phone, down load the wireless tether app. With that setup you can connect wirelessly several devices at once to your phone at no extra charge.

Liberated Droid2 Yo!!

OP
G

gretdame

Reaction score
I have no idea what a root is much less how to make one.
I need someone to tell me each step of what needs to be done.

louy99

Reaction score
Wifi tether is easier to use I believe. It let's you use the droid x's wifi to connect to a laptop or pc and then you'll use the phones 3g to connect to the web. Wired tether is just as easy, plug in the usb, open the app and push the icon to start.
If you don't feel comfortable with rooting, then use the pdanet, sorry, don't know much about that app as it was always my impression that it was for AT&T customers.

I don't think pdanet will work for the nook. In order to use pdanet, you have to install a program on the device you will be tethering with. The nook isn't capable of doing that. Wifi is the only way I think and rooting is a good way to go imo.

Liberated Droid2 Yo!!

louy99

Reaction score
Its really not as complicated as it sounds. You can used a program called z4root. It installs like an app on your phone. It gives you an option to root or unroot so you can always go back to stock. When you tell it to root, it does all the work. Takes your phone about 5 minutes to root it self

Liberated Droid2 Yo!!

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Its really not as complicated as it sounds. You can used a program called z4root. It installs like an app on your phone. It gives you an option to root or unroot so you can always go back to stock. When you tell it to root, it does all the work. Takes your phone about 5 minutes to root it self

Liberated Droid2 Yo!!

What he said. :)

1. Download z4root from here: [APP] z4root - xda-developers
  2. Root your phone with z4root (give it 5-15 minutes to finish)
  3. Download Wifi Tether from here: Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code
  4. Open up Wifi Tether and create a wireless network to share to your Nook.

This should do it for you. If you don't understand any of these steps, do some research as there is a TON of information out there to explain it. Keep in mind that doing his will drain your battery in about 2 hours. So you'll only want to do this while you're charging your phone, most likely.

louy99

Reaction score
My wife loves it when we are on roadtrips and she could open her laptop in the car and have the internet!

Liberated Droid2 Yo!!

OP
G

gretdame

Reaction score
thank you guys so much IT WORKS last night I got my nook color going with it as wireless and downloaded my books.