Keyboard

GoDroidGo

Reaction score
Ok so I've had the Droid for about a week now and at first, it was tough going from an EnV2 to texting on a Droid. Lots of mistakes, learning curve, etc... I did expect this though as I already knew about several ergonomic complaints about the Droid.

But I still find myself having some real trouble texting. Texting has become a chore for me. I can't use the vertical on-screen touch keyboard at all, my thumbs are too big apparently. The horizontal one I'm getting better at but I get frustrated if I make a mistake because I have a hard time placing the cursor in the right position with my finger if I want to go back and delete something.

The physical one is technically my favorite but it's not because the buttons are too close together and it feels awkward to type on for extended periods.

Are there any other software keyboards I could download with more space in between? Or alternatively, is there just a better way to move the cursor other than with my finger? By all means, I love the Droid and the advantages FAR outweigh the disadvantages but right now, I'm missing the texting capability I had with my EnV2. I was almost as quick as I am with a computer keyboard.

Thanks.

eliassami5

Reaction score
Ok so I've had the Droid for about a week now and at first, it was tough going from an EnV2 to texting on a Droid. Lots of mistakes, learning curve, etc... I did expect this though as I already knew about several ergonomic complaints about the Droid.

But I still find myself having some real trouble texting. Texting has become a chore for me. I can't use the vertical on-screen touch keyboard at all, my thumbs are too big apparently. The horizontal one I'm getting better at but I get frustrated if I make a mistake because I have a hard time placing the cursor in the right position with my finger if I want to go back and delete something.

The physical one is technically my favorite but it's not because the buttons are too close together and it feels awkward to type on for extended periods.

Are there any other software keyboards I could download with more space in between? Or alternatively, is there just a better way to move the cursor other than with my finger? By all means, I love the Droid and the advantages FAR outweigh the disadvantages but right now, I'm missing the texting capability I had with my EnV2. I was almost as quick as I am with a computer keyboard.

Thanks.

try out swype or shapewriter keyboards and see if the work for you

cpinto

Reaction score

Thanks.

I use Smart Keyboard Pro, and select the iPhone skin. Not quite the spacing of the iPhone, but pretty good.

Give it a try.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is a link on the forum to download the HTC keyboard which kicks major ass. I prefer it over everything.

big.daddy

Reaction score
There is a link on the forum to download the HTC keyboard which kicks major ass. I prefer it over everything.

i prefer this one also because it supports voice input. I have also purchased the smart keyboard pro, its very good but doesnt support voice input:frown: The spacing is great though

OP
G

GoDroidGo

Reaction score
Why do you guys like the HTC keyboard so much? It looks useful for the punctuation and signs and stuff but the keys still just about the same distance from each other. Swype looks good but it looks like it needs more work for me to seriously use it as a main keyboard. Gah, I'm not even that big (I'm 6 ft) and I'm having such a hard time typing on this phone! I don't have irregularly large hands or thumbs and I'm one of the fastest typers around this area, including texting on my old phone. The EnV2 was a dream compared to this, keyboard wise. Everything else, the Droid destroys all.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why do you guys like the HTC keyboard so much? It looks useful for the punctuation and signs and stuff but the keys still just about the same distance from each other. Swype looks good but it looks like it needs more work for me to seriously use it as a main keyboard. Gah, I'm not even that big (I'm 6 ft) and I'm having such a hard time typing on this phone! I don't have irregularly large hands or thumbs and I'm one of the fastest typers around this area, including texting on my old phone. The EnV2 was a dream compared to this, keyboard wise. Everything else, the Droid destroys all.

It takes some time to adjust to any of the "slide" (as opposed to "tap") keyboards (Swype, SlideIt, and Shapewriter.) I found after a week or so, however, that each is considerably less frustrating to use than the various tap approaches. You just have to commit to it long enough for your fingers to learn what to do. You don't use your thumb, for example.

And yes, you're right. The Droid physical keyboard is a significant weak point compared to many other phones.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was using swype and was getting good with it but for some reason the HTC keyboard just works for me. I like the word suggestions coming up so fast and I don't make many mistakes.

Compared to the Droid onscreen keyboard it was way more room to hit the correct key.

Brokn68

Reaction score
On my 2nd week with the Droid and I'm finally getting used to the physical KB. I'll try out the HTC one to see how it compares to the stock one.

OP
G

GoDroidGo

Reaction score
On my 2nd week with the Droid and I'm finally getting used to the physical KB. I'll try out the HTC one to see how it compares to the stock one.

Do you have any tips, tricks, or shortcuts with the physical? It's my favorite in terms of accuracy. I just don't like the top row. Another thing I hate is how when I have caps lock on, if I want to hit alt to use a symbol, it displays the wrong symbol so I have to take caps lock off and then enter the symbol, then put it back on.