Is 4G LTE Verizon On Different Network Than 3G

Reaction score
Curious,

Is 4G a different network than 3G or is it just the devices have to be 4G? In order to save my unlimited data plan, I am being induced to upgrade to 4G phone, but I am not in an area where I get 4G, so is there any advantage I don't know about? Experimenting, it appears that using a 4G phone seems to be running faster than my existing 3G, so is it just the phones, or the network routing different too.

Thanks,

nikecar

Reaction score
4g will give you an obvious faster browsing experience, and will allow you to download things faster such as apps, music, videos etc.

If you look at the specs of the new phones.which are all 4G phones, most will have a performqnce edge in the hardware over older phones that are only 3g. So even if you aren't in a 4g area, if you have a newer phone, it will probably be a faster phone (opening files, gaming, etc). The overall browsing if both in a 3g area won't be any different, but the OS should be zippier on the newer phone.

Of course there are exceptions.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

d4dEf@c@

Reaction score
Curious,

Is 4G a different network than 3G or is it just the devices have to be 4G? In order to save my unlimited data plan, I am being induced to upgrade to 4G phone, but I am not in an area where I get 4G, so is there any advantage I don't know about? Experimenting, it appears that using a 4G phone seems to be running faster than my existing 3G, so is it just the phones, or the network routing different too.

Thanks,

4g LTE is on a different spectrum or frequency band. It requires a different radio than what is available in a 3g phone; the physical receiver and transmitter.

If you upgrade now and get to keep your unlimited data you will have 4g when you travel to an area with 4g and when they get around to upgrading the towers in your area you'll have unlimited data over 3g.

I hope that helps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks, looks like I will be upgrading to Razr then even without 4g access yet. I was guessing the dual core processor may have something to do with it, but given the fact that Verizon is stopping unlimited data plan for 3G, thought there was more to it, as in, getting data off 3G network due to overload. Speed has been dropping off and I have had issues of having to turn off phone and restart it constantly to speed it up. Could have been heavy use in area, or some form of choking data plans which I have been reading about. Sure hope Verizon doesn't pull a fast one and pull the plug on unlimited data plans like others are doing.

Thanks,

d4dEf@c@

Reaction score
Thanks, looks like I will be upgrading to Razr then even without 4g access yet. I was guessing the dual core processor may have something to do with it, but given the fact that Verizon is stopping unlimited data plan for 3G, thought there was more to it, as in, getting data off 3G network due to overload. Speed has been dropping off and I have had issues of having to turn off phone and restart it constantly to speed it up. Could have been heavy use in area, or some form of choking data plans which I have been reading about. Sure hope Verizon doesn't pull a fast one and pull the plug on unlimited data plans like others are doing.

Thanks,

You haven't heard.... They are getting rid of unlimited data maybe by the end of the summer. To get a discount on your next upgrade you will be forced to moved to a tiered plan unless you buy your own equipment. They also implemented the $30 upgrade fee.

From MIUIv4 for Bionic w/ Tap2

OP
F
Reaction score
You haven't heard.... They are getting rid of unlimited data maybe by the end of the summer. To get a discount on your next upgrade you will be forced to moved to a tiered plan unless you buy your own equipment. They also implemented the $30 upgrade fee.

From MIUIv4 for Bionic w/ Tap2

Yes, I got hit by this $30. upgrade fee which is new, but I was holding out not to waste money on new 4G given I only really care about home computer access to internet, and with no 4G in area yet, I was waiting for the next best deal, instead I got hit with the $30. upgrade fee. lol Did save $100. on Razr, but am not happy with it so far. Doesn't seem much faster, less lockups where I had to turn off phone and restart, so at least I see some improvement.

As to the unlimited data which I was informed would only carry over if I upgraded to 4G, so yes, the unlimited was announced to be discontunued for all existing 3G plans, so if I get screwed like AT&T did on their unlimited data plan discontinuous, then I will be pissed and will drop Verizon like a rock given no 4G benefits for how I use phone other than the unlimited plan continuation which was promised. Time will tell as it always does. Curious, are all 4G networks the same, I liked T-Mobile's new 4G $30. a month pre-pay unlimited data plan deal just launched. I will be checking to see if their 4G may be in my area now or sooner than Verizon. With so many changes, you have to keep up with which is best value these days.

Thanks,

Xavier81411

Reaction score
FREE100KSECRET said:
As to the unlimited data which I was informed would only carry over if I upgraded to 4G, so yes, the unlimited was announced to be discontunued for all existing 3G plans, so if I get screwed like AT&T did on their unlimited data plan discontinuous, then I will be pissed and will drop Verizon like a rock given no 4G benefits for how I use phone other than the unlimited plan continuation which was promised. Time will tell as it always does. Curious, are all 4G networks the same, I liked T-Mobile's new 4G $30. a month pre-pay unlimited data plan deal just launched. I will be checking to see if their 4G may be in my area now or sooner than Verizon. With so many changes, you have to keep up with which is best value these days.

Thanks,

4G LTE is currently only on Verizon and differs from 4G offered by others. They operate on WiMax? I believe its called. Slightly enhanced 3G if you ask me..haven't used it so not sure.

ryanr509

Reaction score
Xavier81411 said:
4G LTE is currently only on Verizon and differs from 4G offered by others. They operate on WiMax? I believe its called. Slightly enhanced 3G if you ask me..haven't used it so not sure.

Att also has 4g lte.sprint has wimax but they are getting rid of it and starting their lte in 2013. Tmobile I believe is Hspa+ which is an enhanced 3g.but if u can pull down the same 15-30mbps why would it matter if what its called? On Verizon 3g 5/5 bars I pull down about 1.5mbps. My buddy on att with 3 or 4 out of 5 bars on 3g pulls down around 5-8mbps most of the time.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
FREE100KSECRET said:
Curious,

Thanks,

Just for fun facts the frequency that is 4G use to be the frequency that gave us our analog tv before we went digital now u can see why its so fast

OP
F
Reaction score
For what it is worth, now that I have been using new Razor, even if only on 3G at my home, it is a bit faster, but more importantly, it does not lock up as often where I would have to turn phone off and on several times a day. I suppose the dual core is the only reason it seems a bit faster, but I had to upgrade in order to keep unlimited data which is all I really use phone for.

comk4ver

Reaction score
I sense conspiracy theory forming in my brain, make people pay for what used to be free so we would have been able to receive internet over our televisions without going through a telecommunications if only they would have added a $5 chip to tv sets. Yes, the government gets money over us.
sargentmajord said:
Just for fun facts the frequency that is 4G use to be the frequency that gave us our analog tv before we went digital now u can see why its so fast