Google Plans to Start Labeling Ad Supported Apps in the Google Play Store

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google_play_promote_gif.jpg

Here's a handy little tweak that Google plans to make to the Google Play Store. They will now start labeling all ad supported apps so it is obvious how to differentiate them. It makes you wonder why they never thought to do that before...

Here's their official statement,
Hello Google Play Developer,

At Google I/O, we launched "ad-supported" labels for apps in the Designed for Families program. Today, we're announcing the expansion of this program to all apps on Google Play. Early next year, users will start to see the "Ads" label on apps that contain advertising, both inside and outside Designed for Families.

By January 11, 2016, you must sign in to the Play Developer Console and declare whether your apps contain ads (such as ads delivered through third party ad networks, display ads, native ads, and/or banner ads). After this date, the ads declaration will be required to make any updates to your apps. Please note that misrepresenting ad presence violates Google Play Developer Program Policies and may lead to suspension. You can visit our help center to learn more.

While developers are responsible for accurately declaring ad presence in their apps, Google may verify this at any time and display the "Ads" label if appropriate.

If you feel your app has been incorrectly flagged for containing ads, please contact our policy support team.

Regards,
The Google Play Team

Source: Gamasutra

Last edited:

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
It'll help those who actually care. Most free apps are ad-supported so I don't personally see the relevance. Seems like it only helps detractors of ads.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. As long as the ads don't prevent me from viewing content or playing a game, I couldn't care less that they're there. The devs who make apps I enjoy get paid and I don't have to fork over any money. Works for me.

JDH

Reaction score
I personally have never paid for an app so it goes without saying, but I will, I am not bothered by ads as long as they aren't intrusive. If a developer bombs you constantly just remove as I have done with random mahjong and a solitaire game. There are plenty of non intrusive apps out there.