GMail contacts sync

jwith2boys

Reaction score
I am a newby..... I just got a droid and they linked my gmail account in the verizon store and also transfered contacts from my old phone. So now my droid contacts are a combination of both. I had not maintained my gmail account very well and lots of contacts I no longer need. If I delete them from gmail via my PC will they disappear from my Droid, or do I need to delete them separately. Similarly, I had several contacts in gmail that were not formatte properly, (I had lastname, first name in one field, etc... this is my fault) anyway I need to clean up some of those names, is there a way to get Droid to sync with gmail contacts and have those be automatically deleted... thanks.

Reaction score
I always thought when you synced it that if you delete a contact off your Droid it removes it from gmail too. If not, no. You'll have to remove it from both. As for formatting correctly you can do that it wont adjust anything on your Droid until you need to actually recover your contacts after a reset or something. If you're really concerned you can always get mybackup pro. Does everything you need to back up everything.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Make all the changes on your pc then save. Then on your droid fo to settings>accts and sync>gmail>uncheck then recheck contacts. When its done your contact changes will have transferd to your droid.

Sent using the DF app, from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away

Reaction score
Guess I was wrong. My apologies I'm still learning.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
J

jwith2boys

Reaction score
OK. thanks... I tried this... I deleted a contact in my gmail from pc. closed gmail on pc. then went to droid apps, account, gmail, unchecked sync contacts, then rechecked sync contacts. The arrows rotated for about 30 sec then stopped. then went to my contacts on my droid and the contact I deleted from the gmail pc was still on the droid.

I also tried the opposite deleting a contact on droid then unchecking and checking contact sync in settings account, but that contact remains in my gmail account on pc.

All of my contacts on Droid say linked profiles (1) when I click on the contact... is this normal.. I was trying to figure out if the contacts I deleted were also from another source, but I am sure they were not, they were gmail contacts and that is it. The only other source is the contacts transferred from my old non-smart phone at the verizon store.

thanks for your help.. any ideas.

OP
J

jwith2boys

Reaction score
Update...

All of the changes I made now seem to have gone through and are implemented...It took about 90 minutes after I unchecked and checked the sync box in accounts. gmail, contact sync. However, it worked. thanks for the help.