Free calls to US using D2G

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
This is an outrage.

Mrs EB,

1. When you have a WiFi network configured and connected/available, Droid 2 Global routes data via that WiFi network by default.
This means that using your D2G with a WiFi hotspot in Germany will make data from any application — including Skype — go via that hotspot, and not via 3G. To be sure (I'm paranoid, f.ex.) you can disable 3G in your settings while leaving WiFi enabled.

2. Skype to Skype calls are free. Skype to landlines/cellphones are not and require Skype credit.

3. Skype does not use “phone minutes” at all simply because it has no reason to. It uses its own protocol and network to place calls.

4. You don't need any SIM cards to place Skype calls from your phone over WiFi. Period. You don't even need any kind of a cellular network for that; your phone can act as a WiFi-connected “tablet PC”, without any CDMA/GSM connectivity.

To put it short: Yes, you will be able to call any Skype ID for free from Germany when connected to a WiFi spot.

OP
M

Mrs EB

Reaction score
This is an outrage.

Mrs EB,

1. When you have a WiFi network configured and connected/available, Droid 2 Global routes data via that WiFi network by default.
This means that using your D2G with a WiFi hotspot in Germany will make data from any application — including Skype — go via that hotspot, and not via 3G. To be sure (I'm paranoid, f.ex.) you can disable 3G in your settings while leaving WiFi enabled.
So you're saying that with 3G disabled, using my D2G at a free wifi area is FREE? You're the first to say that. I'm heading to the Verizon store.

2. Skype to Skype calls are free. Skype to landlines/cellphones are not and require Skype credit.
Ok.

3. Skype does not use “phone minutes” at all simply because it has no reason to. It uses its own protocol and network to place calls.
I understand.

4. You don't need any SIM cards to place Skype calls from your phone over WiFi. Period. You don't even need any kind of a cellular network for that; your phone can act as a WiFi-connected “tablet PC”, without any CDMA/GSM connectivity.
I would need a SIM card for non-Skype calls. So I'm thinking of getting one but now I have to see if it's cheaper to get one online or wait until I get to Germany.

To put it short: Yes, you will be able to call any Skype ID for free from Germany when connected to a WiFi spot.
Ok...and if I go online on my droid using a free wifi network, will Verizon still charge me data fees?

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Of course not. They (and other carriers, f.ex. T-Mobile if you purchase their German SIM in Germany to use it there) can only charge you for data that goes via cellular networks, either GSM or Verizon.

When you're on wifi, everything related to data goes via WiFi, and does not concern Verizon.

You don't have to disable 3G; I'd just feel safer having it disabled when roaming.

djp

Reaction score
Just chiming in with G.Y. here - you are receiving horrible advice. When you are on a wifi network you are not using the cellular radios and will not be charged for data use by Verizon. Anyone that tells you differently is either misinformed or trying to sell you something. This applies to whether you are skype calling or surfing the internet or sending email.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Also, to clarify something:

Besides 3G, there is 2G/2.5G data: GPRS and EDGE. Almost all data plans are essentially 2G with 2.5G and 3G support. Alas, as I'm not currently in possession of a D2 or D2G, I cannot be sure if disabling 3G also disables 2G data. However, WiFi is always preferred over cellular network data access when available.

Although with a non-Verizon/Vodafone SIM, data won't even work over 2G/3G if you don't specify the APN in the phone's configuration.

(Some HTC and LG Android-based phones even allow you to block applications from using cell data, and only let them use WiFi.)

eMWu

Reaction score
Go to Settings -> Data Manager -> Data Delivery and uncheck Data enabled and Data Roaming.
WiFi will still work.

OP
M

Mrs EB

Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification. I went to the Verizon Wireless store this afternoon. First, if I disable the receipt of data and enable the wireless, I can use the D2G in a wireless area for free whether I'm just online or I skye.

I worked on removing the extended battery cover and it's not worth it. The tech guy said it takes a LOT of practice. Not worth it to me.

Thanks everybody. This thread has indeed showed me that one can receive conflicting information!

Last edited:

silver6054

Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification. I went to the Verizon Wireless store this afternoon. First, if I disable the receipt of data and enable the wireless, I can use the D2G in a wireless area for free whether I'm just online or I skye.

I worked on removing the extended battery cover and it's not worth it. The tech guy it takes a LOT of practice. Not worth it to me.

Thanks everybody. This thread has indeed showed me that one can receive conflicting information!
Yes, just saw this thread and was surprised at the conflicting information! As said by others, if you are on Wifi, what you do is not visible to any carrier, so they cannot bill for it.

Are you using the Motorola Extended battery? The cover can be a little stiff but after opening and closing it a few times it gets easier! But if you are only going for a short time, and not planning to return, using a local SIM probably isn't worth the hassle.

OP
M

Mrs EB

Reaction score
Are you using the Motorola Extended battery?
Yes I am.

The cover can be a little stiff but after opening and closing it a few times it gets easier! But if you are only going for a short time, and not planning to return, using a local SIM probably isn't worth the hassle.
I opened it and closed it 3 times at the store and it was VERY stiff. I was concerned that I might damage the cover.

This trip is for a long weekend and I won't be returning in 2011. So if I get a SIM card, I'll put it in my unlocked AT&T phone. It's not a smart phone; just a regular mobile phone.

garylet

Reaction score
Hi...wow, what a lot of advice from people who haven't used the service. I just got back from 2 weeks in Turkey, with zero data charge from Verizon. Here is how to do it.

1. Decide if you want to text (ie - "plane landed, I'm well..."). It costs $.50 to send the text from Germany, and $.05 to receive. At $.55 for the round trip, I used sparingly. Also decide if you want the capability to use the phone in Germany on wireless. It costs a lot, but might be worth it in an emergency. Both of these capabilities don't cost anything to set up, and might be useful.

2. If you want the ability to text/call at Verizon's high rates Call *611, and ask to speak to International department. Tell them you are going to Germany and you want to activate the SIM card on your D2G. Also ask them to make sure "International Calling" is enabled on your phone. This costs nothing if you don't call or text, but it is nice to have the option. Make sure your phone is set to "Global Mode" to be able to do this. Verizon will check this with you when you make the call.

3. Before leaving, find the Skype app found in the Android Marketplace and download it. It creates a Dark Blue icon, and this works on wifi. Verizon's Skype app is light blue, and is not the one you want. You end up with two skype apps - use the dark blue one.

4. When you are shutting down your phone in the US for takeoff, go to Settings-Data Manager-Data Delivery. Uncheck "Data Enabled" and "Data Roaming." Don't turn them back on until you are once again in the US. This is what saves you the big money - data roaming is expensive.

5. When you land in Germany, turn on your phone, you'll get a free text telling you how to dial numbers, and warning you about data costs. This is a good time to make sure "Data Enabled and Data Roaming are off.

6. When you have wifi, you have two cheap choices: Get your husband on Google Talk (pre-installed on Android Phones). It is called "Talk" on your D2g. Free instant IMs that act like texting. Works great. Also, fire up your Dark Blue android skype act, and talk away. I found it useful to have skype credit so I could call real phones in the US, at $.02/minute. Talk a long time for $1.00.

Hope this helps, ask away if you have questions.

Gary

OP
M

Mrs EB

Reaction score
Hi...wow, what a lot of advice from people who haven't used the service. I just got back from 2 weeks in Turkey, with zero data charge from Verizon. Here is how to do it.

1. Decide if you want to text (ie - "plane landed, I'm well..."). It costs $.50 to send the text from Germany, and $.05 to receive. At $.55 for the round trip, I used sparingly.
Yup, just learned those rates from the Verizon store. Interesting that Turkey and Germany have the same texting rates.

Also decide if you want the capability to use the phone in Germany on wireless. It costs a lot, but might be worth it in an emergency. Both of these capabilities don't cost anything to set up, and might be useful.
If I use Skype on wireless, it won't cost me anything. If I just go online instead of making phone calls while on wireless, that too won't cost me anything according to the Verizon people. What specifically did you mean when you said using the phone on wireless costs a lot? I assume you mean calling someone whether inside Germany or not.

3. Before leaving, find the Skype app found in the Android Marketplace and download it. It creates a Dark Blue icon, and this works on wifi. Verizon's Skype app is light blue, and is not the one you want. You end up with two skype apps - use the dark blue one.
We might do that even before that as we want to see how Skype works before I leave.

4. When you are shutting down your phone in the US for takeoff, go to Settings-Data Manager-Data Delivery. Uncheck "Data Enabled" and "Data Roaming." Don't turn them back on until you are once again in the US. This is what saves you the big money - data roaming is expensive.
Definitely doing that! That was the advice given by Verizon too.

5. When you land in Germany, turn on your phone, you'll get a free text telling you how to dial numbers, and warning you about data costs. This is a good time to make sure "Data Enabled and Data Roaming are off.
Good idea.

6. When you have wifi, you have two cheap choices: Get your husband on Google Talk (pre-installed on Android Phones). It is called "Talk" on your D2g. Free instant IMs that act like texting. Works great. Also, fire up your Dark Blue android skype act, and talk away. I found it useful to have skype credit so I could call real phones in the US, at $.02/minute. Talk a long time for $1.00.
If we both talk using the Skype app on our droids (he has the Droid Incredible), it should cost us nothing. That said $0.02/minute to call a landline at home is GREAT. What is the cost to call a landline and a mobile (not Skype) in Germany?

Hope this helps, ask away if you have questions.

Gary
Thank you very much.

garylet

Reaction score
Yup, just learned those rates from the Verizon store. Interesting that Turkey and Germany have the same texting rates.

Also decide if you want the capability to use the phone in Germany on wireless. It costs a lot, but might be worth it in an emergency. Both of these capabilities don't cost anything to set up, and might be useful.
If I use Skype on wireless, it won't cost me anything. If I just go online instead of making phone calls while on wireless, that too won't cost me anything according to the Verizon people. What specifically did you mean when you said using the phone on wireless costs a lot? I assume you mean calling someone whether inside Germany or not.

Hi, sorry for the confusion. Wireless = GSM cellular service, provided by Verizon's global roaming partner (probably Vodaphone). Wifi = internet connection provided by hotel/internet cafe, etc. By activating the SIM card and international calling, you will have the ability to connect by Wireless cellular service, but at expensive rates. This is also how the texting works.

One thing to keep in mind: if you have Global wireless enabled, and someone calls your cell phone number, your phone will ring in Germany. If you answer, you pay the high rates for Verizon's global wireless. So when I was overseas, I had my cell phone number forwarded to another number, so I didn't receive those calls.

Gary