Different Message Alerts for Contacts

JDasenbrock

Reaction score
I'm trying to use the message alert option in the edit contact page, but regardless of which alert I choose, the default alert plays when I receive messages from these contacts. Is there a trick to using this feature?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Are you changing the alert by selecting a sound file? Is that selection there next time you look?

OP
J

JDasenbrock

Reaction score
Yes. I've selected a different sound file for a couple of different contacts. When going back to edit these contacts, the different alerts are still selected. But, the default alert still plays for them.

OP
J

JDasenbrock

Reaction score
Update: it appears it only fails when the text message is sent from an email address instead of a phone number. The example in question for me is high ticket alerts from my employer. These come in as text messages, but from an email address. These ignore the message alert setting in the contact info and play the default alert instead.

Interesting and possibly a bug. Can anyone else confirm my findings?

Now, to try and find a workaround...

reybie

Reaction score
What about if you add the originating email address of the text message to the contact detail, does it still not work?

GVLBob

Reaction score
Update: it appears it only fails when the text message is sent from an email address instead of a phone number. The example in question for me is high ticket alerts from my employer. These come in as text messages, but from an email address. These ignore the message alert setting in the contact info and play the default alert instead.

Interesting and possibly a bug. Can anyone else confirm my findings?

Now, to try and find a workaround...
Question: did you set up a special ringtone for the employer email address? I wonder if it would play that special ringtone even though the email address was used in a text message.

OP
J

JDasenbrock

Reaction score
I didn't, but I have a different alert for my email and it's not paying that one. It's definitely treatng it as a text message.

OP
J

JDasenbrock

Reaction score
What about if you add the originating email address of the text message to the contact detail, does it still not work?

That's the way it's currently set up. I created the contact from one of the first messages redirected from that email address. Doesn't work...only pays the default.

OP
J

JDasenbrock

Reaction score
Question: did you set up a special ringtone for the employer email address? I wonder if it would play that special ringtone even though the email address was used in a text message.

Tried this today and it still plays the default notification. Also tried adding a phone # to the contact, even though one isn't coming in with the text message. Still plays the default mage alert.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try a different text app, such as Handcent, Chomp, etc. They allow custom text notification for individual contacts.
Before using a non stock text app I used to use Ringo to do the same thing. I haven't used it in a while but it's still being supported and might be the solution if you prefer to keep using your current text app.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

OP
J

JDasenbrock

Reaction score
Other than using some alternate messaging app or third-party tool, I haven't found any way to make this work. It's unfortunate that the stock app contains the feature, but it was either not fully implemented or fully tested.

OP
J

JDasenbrock

Reaction score
Just received the 4.4.2 Kit Kat update and sadly, this still does not work properly.

When a contact is based on an email address, as are my work "pages", it ignores the selected notification on the contact and plays the default. Works fine when a contact is based on a phone number.