Can no longer pull down quick settings / menu & last app buttons no longer working [Nexus 5]...

GateNk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5
Hello all! I just got back from a road trip with a few friends and during its last stretch, I was asked to use my phone's GPS to veer us back home. The GPS drained whatever battery was left (about 30%) until it died. The copilot then plugged the phone into the car's USB to turn it back on and keep using the GPS - the battery remained at 0% the entire time, perhaps the drain from the GPS proved too big to overcome. (Do not know if any of this is relevant)

When I got my phone back, I noticed it was acting a bit wonky... Sure enough, my onscreen Home and Last App buttons failed to work. Note that the respective buttons still light up when I press them, they simply won't respond or do their intended function. The back button still works and is currently my only means of exiting an app (certain apps like the Javelin Browser require of me to restart my phone...).

My quick settings have also disappeared. When I drag my notifications down and then a second time, nothing. When plugging it to a computer, the option to change the transfer type from charging to mtp file sharing no longer appears either... When I get a new message, the notification light will pulsate but upon opening my phone, no icons will display at the top of the screen (texting icon or otherwise)...

So far I have tried restarting the phone and clearing the phone's cache, to no avail.

I've tried plugging a mini USB key into the phone and accessing it's contents through ES File Explorer, as I usually do and even that failed... I would attempt a factory reset provided I can access the files in my phone to back them up in the first place...

Any solutions to this annoying problem?

Thanks in advance !

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum!
Can you provide a little more information about your device? Make/model/carrier/OS version?
First things first, you never want to run your battery down to 0.....ever. let alone continue using such a memory intensive app such as Google Maps, even if it's plugged in at 0-5% battery. Does your device have a removable battery? If so I would suggest removing it for about 10 min. Replace it and without turning it on, plug it in and charge it to 100%. Turn it on and you should be good to go. If no removable battery, a factory data reset may be your only option. Hang in there and hopefully some of our other members can chime in with their suggestions.
Good luck!

S5 tap'n

OP
G

GateNk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5
Its a Google Nexus 5 and I'm running Marshmellow, so unfortunately, removing the battery isn't an option.. . And dully noted about the battery.. this is truly the first time this happens to me in years so I had no idea it could do such damage...

I'd attempt a factory reset but I have no means of backing up my data. I've read online that I could attempt to download SDK tools and use ADB to fix the issue, except that tapping 7 times on the build number won't grant me developer rights....

EDIT: Well, in the end I managed to transfer my files to my Google Drive over wifi and a factory reset fixed the situation!

Last edited: