Birthday Reminders

s_hinerman

Reaction score
So i have all of the Birthdays loaded into the calendar but i can not get it notify me of an upcoming birthday. I have it set to remind me 24hrs in advance and have it set to just give me a notification bar reminder. Still does not work... I can add a calendar event and that will pop a notification fine... Any ideas?
Thanks

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've found that Google Calendar only gives me like 15 minutes notice on my events, maybe put their birthdays as events at 1AM on the day? That way you wake up to a missed appointment?

eliassami5

Reaction score
I've found that Google Calendar only gives me like 15 minutes notice on my events, maybe put their birthdays as events at 1AM on the day? That way you wake up to a missed appointment?

when you setup an appointment you can scroll down to the bottom before you hit done and you can change when the reminder will be set.

cyb3rtr0n

Reaction score
I like the app called Pure Calendar Widget for purposes like this. You can add the widget to one of your home screens and it will have your google calendars appointments, holidays, birthdays, etc. shown on screen

it's skinnable and customizable, the app is worth purchasing. Best thing is, as with all apps, you can try it out for and request refund if not happy within 24 hours.

OP
S

s_hinerman

Reaction score
I am not adding the birthdays on the calendar as events. I am adding them to the contact info in my gmail account. They show up on the calendar just never get a reminder for them...

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am not adding the birthdays on the calendar as events. I am adding them to the contact info in my gmail account. They show up on the calendar just never get a reminder for them...

As nice as it is that the Google calendar can access contacts for birthdays, you've come across the major weakness of that approach. Since they aren't "events," there is no notification. You can, of course, create all day events in the Google calendar and have them repeat on an annual basis.

What I do is use RememberTheMilk to get reminders for such important dates. I have it integrated with my Google calendar so it shows up on my desktop version of that application and I set reminders sufficiently ahead of time to allow me to get flowers a few days in advance to safeguard my marriage.

Medicineman

Reaction score
I downloaded TKBirthdayReminder from the marketplace and it has up to 7 notification days as well as notification time and notification sound. I have all seven days checked so I don't forget a birthday. Works for me. The developer has been very helpful as well. Puts a note in contacts as well.

Last edited: