Audio files not being detected

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
My Droid 4 is running ICS and I've noticed that some of the audio files that I have in the ringtone, notification, alarms, etc folders on the internal sdcard are not being detected by the OS so I'm unable to use them. I've tried using the .ogg and .mp3 versions of the files. I can put the files on my Droid 1 and the OS detects the files right away. For some reason ICS doesn't auto detect and I have to reboot to get it to see the files but now I'm noticing that even after a reboot in only detects some of the newly added files not all of them. I also renamed one of the files it detected and under the settings it still shows the old file name. ICS is clearly not the best version of Android. I don't know if that's the fault of Google, Verizon, or Motorola, but somebody dropped the ball here.

Any ideas how to make the phone detect audio files without having to reboot?

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
My Droid 4 is running ICS and I've noticed that some of the audio files that I have in the ringtone, notification, alarms, etc folders on the internal sdcard are not being detected by the OS so I'm unable to use them. I've tried using the .ogg and .mp3 versions of the files. I can put the files on my Droid 1 and the OS detects the files right away. For some reason ICS doesn't auto detect and I have to reboot to get it to see the files but now I'm noticing that even after a reboot in only detects some of the newly added files not all of them. I also renamed one of the files it detected and under the settings it still shows the old file name. ICS is clearly not the best version of Android. I don't know if that's the fault of Google, Verizon, or Motorola, but somebody dropped the ball here.

Any ideas how to make the phone detect audio files without having to reboot?
try the external sd

OP
xsylus

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Did that, two issues, one it still doesn't auto detect and two sometimes when the phone reboots or the external sd gets unmounted like when connected to a pc the phone lists the notification sound as "unknown" and then plays the default or no sound at all. I think I found a solution to the auto detect issue though. I'm currently testing an app called SDrescan which does what it says; rescans the sdcard. Of course like most apps dealing with the sdcard it only affects the internal sdcard but for now that seems to be good enough to make the phone realize new audio files have been added.

I guess ICS stands for Inept Careless Slackers because this version of Android seems to have just shifted rather than actually improved. I'm hopeful that there will be another revision of ICS released since I doubt the Droid 4 will get JB.

silverfang77

Reaction score
ICS is stupid in the way it handles media files on the SD card. There is no way to auto update, not even unmounting and remounting the card. Only a reboot works.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.