Anyone else having problems connecting to PC as "disk drive"?

sdg

Reaction score
I've tried several times to add video and music files to my phone but have only been successful two out of six or seven tries. Most of the time the PC (I've tried two different PC's) won't recognize the disk drive. The two times it did work, when I tried to play the video, the player (on the phone) got locked up and was unresponsive for several minutes. Afterward, the phone functioned very slowly and wouldn't enter the "Personalize" menu... just goes to a black screen. The two times I was able to get media (videos) on the phone it got so bogged down that I decided to erase the phone back to factory settings and start over. The last time around I also formatted the card.

It still isn't recognized by the PC. I decided not to try again as I don't feel like resetting the phone again.

Anyone else having similar problems?

DarthHelix

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem, except that I've never had the SD card recognized by any PC. I've posted in sever forums to no avail.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
S

sdg

Reaction score
Hmm. Hopefully there is a fix for this. It sure would be nice to be able to put your own music and videos on the phone.

Have you tried removing the card and putting the files on it directly?

BobB

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me

I got my Dinc2 four days ago, and today I got around to trying to copy music to it (via USB cable), but it didn't work. After lots of plugging in and unplugging, occasionally I could get the PC to recognize the phone as a drive, but if I tried to copy to the phone, access was denied. But usually the PC wouldn't recognize the phone as a drive (even with Menu, Settings, Connect to PC, Default connection type set to Disk Drive) So after a long time with VZW support, they said it was either a bad SD card or a bad phone, or both, and I should exchange it for a new one (I was still within the 14 day period). The new one works like a charm! With the new one, as soon as I attach the cable from the phone to the PC, a small USB symbol appears in the notifications bar, and if I open the notifications window, it says Disk Drive. In the defective phone, I never saw anything in the notifications bar whatsoever (which confirms there was a problem).

OP
S

sdg

Reaction score
Well it's a bummer you had to exchange the phone but I guess it's good they took care of it. I bought mine online through Costco and they don't have it in stores, so I'm not sure how an exchange would work but I'll look into it ASAP.

Thanks for the info.

DarthHelix

Reaction score
Got my problem fixed by turning off, removing then replacing battery, turning back on, all while USB cable was plugged into both computer and phone.

Now the SD card shows up as a drive in Explorer.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

eugene212

Reaction score
I've tried several times to add video and music files to my phone but have only been successful two out of six or seven tries. Most of the time the PC (I've tried two different PC's) won't recognize the disk drive. The two times it did work, when I tried to play the video, the player (on the phone) got locked up and was unresponsive for several minutes. Afterward, the phone functioned very slowly and wouldn't enter the "Personalize" menu... just goes to a black screen. The two times I was able to get media (videos) on the phone it got so bogged down that I decided to erase the phone back to factory settings and start over. The last time around I also formatted the card.
It still isn't recognized by the PC. I decided not to try again as I don't feel like resetting the phone again.

Anyone else having similar problems?
Yes, I have had continued problems with just connecting the phone to the computer. I found a first the case around the phone was the problem and not allowing the phone to connect properly. Then the connection is in and out. Also the install program does not come up easily. Then the location of the downloads was buried in the my documents folder. This is not the same location as listed int he HTC sync folder. It seems HTC has made simply downloading photos way to complex.

Asc14

Reaction score
Hey Ive had the same problem as you before. When I first got my cell I was able to connect it as a disk drive then a month or so later it only connected as the cd. Found the solution to everyone's problem. Go to the Android market and install this free app called Auto Mount. When you install that and enable it and hook it up to your computer it will direct it as the cd drive and the disk drive also it really works I was surprised. AUTO MOUNT

ezrider55

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V30
Auto Mount seems to be the way to go. But does not seem to work 4 everyone. i went to htc/europe and downloaded htc sync, on my computers. this loaded the corect driver for the phone on my computers and both could see SD card on phone. Have to turn htc sync off to tether. DO NOT run people sync unless you want a messed up phone book !!!!

Last edited:

Maxumized

Reaction score
Mounting DroidX to PC

I've tried several times to add video and music files to my phone but have only been successful two out of six or seven tries. Most of the time the PC (I've tried two different PC's) won't recognize the disk drive. The two times it did work, when I tried to play the video, the player (on the phone) got locked up and was unresponsive for several minutes. Afterward, the phone functioned very slowly and wouldn't enter the "Personalize" menu... just goes to a black screen. The two times I was able to get media (videos) on the phone it got so bogged down that I decided to erase the phone back to factory settings and start over. The last time around I also formatted the card. It still isn't recognized by the PC. I decided not to try again as I don't feel like resetting the phone again. Anyone else having similar problems?
I had the same problem...then I realized it's not the phone, it was my ignorance. You have to connect the phone with the usb cable first. Next, when your phone connects to the PC, you will see the usb connection in the task bar of your phone. Pull down the task bar and touch the usb connection. Here you will be given the option to mount the phone.

Kimo91

Reaction score
Check your cords and make sure its for data/charging and nit for charging only. Then if phone connect to computer pull your drag bar down and select USB mass storage mode.

Sent from my Rooted and Safestrapped Moto DROID RAZR