'All-See' Seems Like Magic: Gesture-Recognition Tech Works in Your Pocket & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;tJCQZxi_0AI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJCQZxi_0AI[/video]​

Sometimes you look at an emerging new technology and you just say, "Wow!" I have a perfect example of this to share with you guys today thanks to CJM! There's a new prototype tech being developed by University of Washington computer scientists called "AllSee." AllSee's claim to fame is an almost magical method of gesture-recognition.

Rather than using the usual camera-style setup which requires a "visual" line of sight to use the gestures, the AllSee uses something quite invisible. The AllSee can register changes in wireless signals and translate them into commands useable by electronic devices. The sensors in the AllSee concept can see the changes caused by hand gestures (or other human movements) which disrupt the amplitude of these signals when passing through them. Check out the video above to truly understand, as it demonstrates this use of gesture-based controls while the user's smartphone is actually in his pocket. Several other applications of the tech are also shown off in the video.

The early technology is a little rough around the edges, but it's remarkable what they can do already. Furthermore, the researchers claim the materials needed to build this technology will not be expensive at all. We are looking forward to seeing this come to market in future devices.

It's easy to imagine a multitude of applications for this tech. It could show up in almost everything and allow us unprecedented control of remote devices. What sorts of applications can you envision for this tech?

Source: Gizmodo

jspradling7

Reaction score
That is cool. That seems better than how my TV does it using it's camera. Before long we will only be using gestures and speech to control our toys. No touch required.

jspradling7

Reaction score
They grow on you, and you miss them when they aren't there. I catch myself waving to TV's that aren't set up for it. Embarrassing. lol

Briankbl

Reaction score
Is it a neat idea? Sure.
Do I want to be gesturing around my junk in public? Not really lol.