5.8.894 update

jkliving92

Reaction score
I reverted back to stock using droidtheory's and dhacker's fastboot and permaroot. Pulled the update using cheesecake but it fails every time. My kernel is the same kernel version droidtheory's purity rom was built on. I think it was 5.7.894. Anybody have any suggestions to get a successful install?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

gsDroid

Reaction score
You cannot install 5.8.894 if you have ever updated your radio/kernel from stock. The update will only work if you are on the original radio/kernel and you cannot go back to the original kernel if it has been updated due to the locked bootloader. Reverting to stock system does just that, stock system. Kernel stays on whatever version it is.

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
You cannot install 5.8.894 if you have ever updated your radio/kernel from stock. The update will only work if you are on the original radio/kernel and you cannot go back to the original kernel if it has been updated due to the locked bootloader. Reverting to stock system does just that, stock system. Kernel stays on whatever version it is.

So what you're saying is, and forgive me if I sound dumb, that one CANNOT get to 5.8.894 from 5.7.893?

chesterv

Reaction score
Is rooting ok to still allow updates, etc?

OP
jkliving92

jkliving92

Reaction score
So what you're saying is, and forgive me if I sound dumb, that one CANNOT get to 5.8.894 from 5.7.893?

Correct. Motor put a checker on it that checks whether youre running a leaked cheesecake update to stop people from pool pulling their updates. once Verizon off officially pushes the update to your phone however the checker will be gone so you'll be able to revert to stock and update no matter what you're running.

OP
jkliving92

jkliving92

Reaction score
Is rooting ok to still allow updates, etc?

Yes. It's tricky though. You'll need the perma root to ensure an update won't break root.

HTC1

Reaction score
I have a brand new stock phone and have 886 and no update available

OP
jkliving92

jkliving92

Reaction score
I have a brand new stock phone and have 886 and no update available

Check the forums. You should be able to download it. Or just use cheesecake to pull it. Since you haven't updated to any leaked updates your kernel will pass the checker.

The forum is: 5.8.894 update before ics

HTC1

Reaction score
I'm not rooted. No update is available for me

OP
jkliving92

jkliving92

Reaction score
I'm not rooted. No update is available for me

They haven't pushed it out yet. It's a leak. You have to have the cheesecake application or download it. If you Dont want to root download it, rename it to update.zip and chose install update.zip in stock recovery. has to be in The root of your SD card. not sure whether internal or external though.

Last edited:

kylo77

Reaction score
Which cheesecake server can we download it from? Also, its saying that I need a Moto service account...whats that all about?

They haven't pushed it out yet. It's a leak. You have to have the cheesecake application or download it. If you Dont want to root download it, rename it to update.zip and chose install update.zip in stock recovery. has to be in The root of your SD card. not sure whether internal or external though.

OP
jkliving92

jkliving92

Reaction score
Which cheesecake server can we download it from? Also, its saying that I need a Moto service account...whats that all about?

Just check them all. I didn't think to remember what server it was. And just click through the moto service account. It will go through. Some servers kept saying I didn't have an internet connection and would ask be to setup a Wi-Fi connection. Just go to another server.

madmako

Reaction score
Yes. It's tricky though. You'll need the perma root to ensure an update won't break root.

Greetings - I used Pete's Root Tools to root my Bionic for use with the trial version of Titanium Backup which required root. Should I use Pete's tools again to UnRoot the Bionic before VZW releases the OTA update for those of us in NH?
I don't want to mess up or brick a device that I feel is already unstable.

Thanks for any insight!

OP
jkliving92

jkliving92

Reaction score
Greetings - I used Pete's Root Tools to root my Bionic for use with the trial version of Titanium Backup which required root. Should I use Pete's tools again to UnRoot the Bionic before VZW releases the OTA update for those of us in NH?
I don't want to mess up or brick a device that I feel is already unstable.

Thanks for any insight!

Shouldn't have to unroot but if you haven't perma rooted the update will break root. This has already happened for some.