[Exclusive Rumor] Moto's X Phone: Multi-Carrier, Key Lime Pie, Google I/O & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola -X-Phone.jpg

To say we have been anxiously awaiting any new intel regarding the "Motorola X Phone" that was rumored last year is a huge understatement. Luckily, our hidden friends in high places within the industry haven't let us down.

We have some new "rumint" today regarding the super-hot phantom device, and we just couldn't wait to share it. We want to preface this with the disclaimer that we have not been able to find any secondary corroboration for this news, and the source is not the most solid we have used, but the content of the rumor seems very plausible. For the sake of possibilities and potentialities we thought it worth-while to offer it for your perusal. Here's what we have heard:
  • The new Motorola X Phone will be a 5-inch device, but the display will be edge-to-edge, and nearly bezel-free. This means it will actually look and feel smaller than a Samsung Galaxy S III.
  • The X Phone will not be a Nexus device. However, while this may initially bring unhappiness to some, apparently this phone will be Motorola's first cross-carrier (hence the X-name) branded phone, free from the tether of Verizon. It is designed to be it's own new hyper-competitive brand.
  • Additionally, the Moto X-Phone will be the first device to ship with Android 5.0/Key Lime Pie and will be announced at the same time as the next mobile OS during Google I/O later this year.
  • Finally, while this will not be a Nexus device, supposedly, Motorola has been working hard to create a UI that both compliments & enhances the Android experience, and is intended to be Nexus-like. Additionally, they are working on a variety of software add-ons to improve the functionality of the device further, much like several of Samsung's software features, like S Beam for example.
Again, please take this rumor with a grain of salt, because we couldn't find any other info across the web to back it up; however, if it is just a fan-boy's imaginings, it seems very logical and well-developed. In fact, it's even possible that many or all of these ideas could hit the mark directly, and that is why we brought it to you guys. If any or all of this intel turns out to be true, Motorola may just end up shaking up the industry again, just like they did with the original Droid back in the beginning. It looks like "X" marks the spot for an exciting treasure in 2013!

Thanks for the tip anonymous!

For more discussions on this rumored device, follow the link: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-x-phone-forum/

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
This is awesome news & I hope it is true!

~taking notes~

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Locked bootloader comment coming in 3.....2.......1.......

:big smile:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
if it sounds to good to be true......

i am hopeful but also realistic

Mujibar

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cautiously hopeful ... and simultaneously giddy!!

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Additionally, the Moto X-Phone will be the first device to ship with Android 5.0/Key Lime Pie and will be announced at the same time as the next mobile OS during Google I/O later this year.

I thought new versions of android were always launched on a nexus device? isnt that one of the main points of releasing nexus devices?

Reaction score
Sounds like the Bionic again which I wasted money on.

Prediction;

It'll be thin and cool looking. Have a LOCKED bootloader and an updated version of ugly ass blur running on KLP. Oh and loads of bloatware, because god forbid we don't have bloatware!!

Until Motorola collaborates with Google to make an ultimate Nexus phone I don't care about the X Phone , they'll never get another cent from me again.

equake

Reaction score
Additionally, the Moto X-Phone will be the first device to ship with Android 5.0/Key Lime Pie and will be announced at the same time as the next mobile OS during Google I/O later this year.

I thought new versions of android were always launched on a nexus device? isnt that one of the main points of releasing nexus devices?

Ditto

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
You hear that Sammy? Their 5 incher is going to (supposedly) be NEXUS LIKE???? GET TO WORKING ON THAT NEXUS NOTE!!!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I bet Verizon's will have a locked bootloader and at the very least, a weak lock on the other carriers. It would be great if it was truly up to the carrier and like the S3, only have the idiots at Verizon lock theirs. If they are all locked down tight, Moto is dead to me.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm....if it's cross-carrier I wonder what the potential would be to buy an unlocked or weak-locked version on, say Sprint LTE, and then bring it over to VZW (since they don't subsidize those on unlimited plans anymore)?

Reaction score
If locked bootloaders bug you then you should either A- buy the Dev edition or B- not be on Verizon. And they could also offer an unlock utility that voids the warranty like other manufacturers. Moto isn't the evil tyrant everyone thinks they are...

Sent from Razr Maxx running Full Throttle Killer Bean