Samsung Surprises by Announcing Galaxy Note Edge

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxynoteedge-engadget.jpg

Image above is from Engadget.​

It was no surprise that Samsung would announce the Galaxy Note 4, but what came as a shock was that they also announced the new Galaxy Note Edge as well.

The Note Edge is basically a special addition version of the Galaxy Note line, which includes a YOUM 5.6-inch Quad HD+ bent display (the "plus" in Quad HD+ refers to the 160 rows of extra pixels used on the side display).

Other than the display, the specs are the same as the Galaxy Note 4.

Last edited:
if the device pictured was the device shown I might be interested but I don't see an "edge" device with an extra screen element on a flat device as being "edgy" but rather just give me my screen back.

That's not quite practical. It needs to be a right angle - that is just awkward/visually unappealing as far as usage, but I guess a right angle would make it difficult to see.

The only practical use I see would be for a dock bar or software buttons - but the same functionality would be accomplished without the angle display (and be more flexible as far as options).

My preference is either a right angle or even a "2nd" display for 5 "hot" keys, be it software buttons or app shortcuts or whatever. Would be a nice feature along the top edge of the phone.

...I don't see an "edge" device with an extra screen element on a flat device as being "edgy" but rather just give me my screen back.

...YOUM 5.6-inch Quad HD+ bent display (the "plus" in Quad HD+ refers to the 160 rows of extra pixels used on the side display)...

You aren't losing any screen real estate or resolution over a standard Quad HD screen. It's Quad HD PLUS the extra on the side.

I don't suppose Verizon will support this. I'm intrigued by it, especially with the column of hot button shortcuts.

You aren't losing any screen real estate or resolution over a standard Quad HD screen. It's Quad HD PLUS the extra on the side.

But where's the utility? It makes the phone wider, and it's not like disappearing docks/side bars take up valuable screen real estate.

It's an "interesting" advancement, but more novelty/gimmick and something that's unlikely to catch on. And between gestures and voice controls (and increased functionality of the taskbar/dropdown) I think the dock is ultimately destined for the same fate as the hardware keyboard.

The reason this is nothing but a gimmick is because you don't GAIN anything by curving one edge. That, to me, is nothing more than a screen with a row of icons running down the right edge. Why not just have a flat screen with the tabs on the side?

I own 2 Samsung TVs that I love. I had 2 fridges, and one was a big french door model that was AWESOME. I just ordered a keyless door lock for my home (the full SHS-H620 kit). I clearly don't hate the company, not by a longshot. But I hate 99% of EVERYTHING they do with smartphones. I can't stand the choices they make. I just don't like their cellphone division.

Last edited:
My preference is either a right angle or even a "2nd" display for 5 "hot" keys, be it software buttons or app shortcuts or whatever. Would be a nice feature along the top edge of the phone.

Samsung tried this in 2011 and it was not very popular; it was the Continuum. Very interesting idea though.

Samsung-Continuum-2z.jpg

I would prefer an edge-less display and just run a ticker app.

Anyone have the confirmed phone dimensions? Not the screen but the actual phone

Call me a troll but I just cant see the Practicality of this. It seems like it kinda locks that real estate of the phone down to a specific purpose. Seems a little gimmicky to me. Then again maybe I am just an old Fart that doesn't get it.

It really just seems like yet another way to give Otter box and Zagg shield a curve ball for their Engineers. LOL

Looks like a cracked screen waiting to happen. Unless you put a decent case on this device (which is going to ruin the actual functionality if this feature), I think it's a ridiculous idea.
But that's just me. I agree with Spej.....this is basically an updated version of the failed Continuum.
But hey, at least Sammy is trying new things so I have to give them points for that.

tap'n on my S5

I think the Edge is awesome . Sure there are pluses and minuses. I like the idea of having icons for apps and features easily accessible. I like the camera function displayed in the curved area.
I wonder how well a screen protector will work with this device.. I am concerned about dropping it on the edge.
What are your thoughts?

I think I remember reading something a few months ago about this screen being unbreakable. Could be totally wrong here.

Did they show off this phone last year at the unpacked event?? Well a little bit...

PS I wish the note 4 was 5.5 inches...I miss my note 3, but it was just to dang big!!

Last edited:
Back