Battery use for screen display abnormally high

ras0787

Reaction score
I have the DX and so far everything has been ok with it. It works great and hasnt had a problem up until the last couple of days when I noticed the battery life being very short. I found that under the battery manager in battery use, the display is at a very very high percentage. It seems to stay at around 90%. Currently it is sitting at 94% and the screen is on the lowest brightness level. Ive hardly used it since I unplugged it around 830 this morning and I'm already at 60% battery life. Anyone know what could be causing the high battery usage for the screen?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have the DX and so far everything has been ok with it. It works great and hasnt had a problem up until the last couple of days when I noticed the battery life being very short. I found that under the battery manager in battery use, the display is at a very very high percentage. It seems to stay at around 90%. Currently it is sitting at 94% and the screen is on the lowest brightness level. Ive hardly used it since I unplugged it around 830 this morning and I'm already at 60% battery life. Anyone know what could be causing the high battery usage for the screen?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

dumb question...Do you have the screen on alot/always?

OP
R

ras0787

Reaction score
It times out after one minute and shuts off. I've been at work and maybe used it for 30 minutes max today.

heycow

Reaction score
Yeah that's not normal. I keep mine cranked up to 100% brightness (it's so pretty!) and right now my Display is only at 20% usage (though usually it's higher). You may want to first try a factory reset, then if that doesn't work go to a store and see if they can help you out. Maybe something wrong with your hardware.

modset

Reaction score
Mine is the same way as th OP. Let me know what you find out.

Losheau

Reaction score
I'm also facing the same problem, my phone is at 50% battery and its only been about 4 hours... any recommendations?

Btw my phone is on power saver with the lowest brightness setting possible.

Last edited:

Losheau

Reaction score
I read most of the forum posts in that link you just gave, I have had all my GPS settings off.

Could it be that it is using so much battery trying to get a good signal? I often lose connection in my own house, i get very bad signal.

OP
R

ras0787

Reaction score
It turns out that the espn scorecenter app was just donkey raping my phone with no lube. Yesterday I unplugged my phone at 830 and by noon i was at 50%. Today I unplugged it at the same time and im at 80% at 1 after using gps for a while earlier. This app is the spawn of satan if you have it lose it immediately. Also if this isnt causing your problem check your other widgets and apps as the ones with auto update seem to rape your battery. I cant stress enough how badly that app was eating my battery.

OP
R

ras0787

Reaction score
Yeah that's not normal. I keep mine cranked up to 100% brightness (it's so pretty!) and right now my Display is only at 20% usage (though usually it's higher). You may want to first try a factory reset, then if that doesn't work go to a store and see if they can help you out. Maybe something wrong with your hardware.

Just curious, how long does your battery last on the highest brightness setting?

Sentrix

Reaction score
It turns out that the espn scorecenter app was just donkey raping my phone with no lube. Yesterday I unplugged my phone at 830 and by noon i was at 50%. Today I unplugged it at the same time and im at 80% at 1 after using gps for a while earlier. This app is the spawn of satan if you have it lose it immediately. Also if this isnt causing your problem check your other widgets and apps as the ones with auto update seem to rape your battery. I cant stress enough how badly that app was eating my battery.

That first sentence is an interesting way to put it.
But yes, the ScoreCenter app is horrifically laggy and consumptive - doesn't run nearly as smooth on Android as it did on my old iPod Touch.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read most of the forum posts in that link you just gave, I have had all my GPS settings off.

Could it be that it is using so much battery trying to get a good signal? I often lose connection in my own house, i get very bad signal.

Yes, if your phone is constantly trying to get a good signal it will tend to use quite a bit of battery power. You should try dialing *228 to update how your phone connects. This helped with my battery life tremendously when my "Cell standby" was using all my juice. Try it out--it can't hurt. Apparently, verizon even tells people to update this way at least once/month!

GPS may not be enough to solve the "no sleep" bug on the droid X (your "Display" is using all your juice). Three other things that you may want to do until the update comes:
1)turn off wifi when done using
2)after charging phone, unplug charger, shut down phone, start up phone
3)some apps can cause the no sleep bug. recently, the Facebook app was causing this, but they've updated the app. Even if the app/widget isn't making the phone not sleep, it may just be that the app is poorly designed. Use an app like Spare Parts to identify culprits and then uninstall them.

I think it is important to note that turning off GPS, wifi, and rebooting after charging isn't normal for an android phone. The upcoming update will likely fix all of this malarkey.

One last thing, when you get a new battery you should charge it all the way, discharge it all the way, then charge it all the way so that the phone/battery calibrate.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ive had my droid x for about 2 days and ive had the same issues as you have listed before. ive just gone into my services folder ? and stopped services that were running idk if that will help but im giving it a try