Rooting 2.3.5 RAZR

helium

Reaction score
Hey!

I've been an iPhone-user since 2008, and moved over to Android a couple of months ago. I went into the store to get an iPhone 4S, but walked out with a RAZR. It was a spontaneus purchase, but it's one of the best purchaes I've made.

My first thought when I got this phone, was to root it. Now, 2 months later, after reading thread after thread about anything that has to do with rooting, I still feel lost. I am hoping that someone could explain to me in more detail what the benefits or rooting are. I know the basic stuff, since I was jailbroken on my iPhone and probably did everything you can with an iPhone.

Ok first to the technical part. I have 2.3.5 and I'm not automatically receiving the 2.3.6 update, shall I update manually from one of the links I found on this forum? Or should I root 2.3.5 and then use the 2.3.6 update guide once I get the update?

Can someone explain to me in a more detailed way exactly what you can do or have done with your device after rooting it?

My main reasons for rooting are

- Clock CPU
- Custom ROM

Could you fill this up and give me more reasons to root?

I'm not expecting any replies on this, as I always tend to make my posts unnecessarily long, lol. :frown: I'm very greatful for anything you can teach me or inform me so I don't have to feel so lost in this jungle!

Last edited:

omar908

Reaction score
Well first of congrats on your purchase :) and i would say not to update yet because what ive heard is their was no way to root 2.3.6 yet if im wrong plz correct me, and the benefits of rooting are good some examples are like u stated overclocking (im not sure if they found a way to do that on the razr yet) and ofcourse custom roms as well :) you could do wifi tethering ,freeze bloat(safer than deleting them!!!) And well more haha and finally i used doomlords root method which was basically one click method nice and simple ive done it multiple times no issue ,just remember to put your phone in debbuging mode

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Root, jailbreak, both are somewhat alike, they both let you add custom modifications!

And trust me, you'll love Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3)

Motorola Droid 2: CyanogenMod 9

OP
H

helium

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response guys. I'm reading a lot about backing up your phone using various backup applications, but here I am confused. What exactly do I need?

Will a root reset my phone to factory default by the way? Thanks again :)

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome!

You won't have to necessarily root to update to 2.3.6 - there is a manual method. DROID RAZR 6.12.173 Update Pulled and Available for Use, Brings Phone to Android 2.3.6 [No Root Required] – Droid Life

2.3.6 is rootable, it is called MotoFail and is available in this utility which also contains the restore files... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/198379-updated-droid-razr-utility-windows.html

As for why to root - complete control of your device and files. Rooting in itself won't change how the phone runs or operates but once you begin to make modifications (custom ROMs, overclocking, etc) then that will change how the phone runs. Once rooted, you are able to change the system font and obtain screenschots (each will require additional apps to be downloaded)...

Good luck!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Thanks for the quick response guys. I'm reading a lot about backing up your phone using various backup applications, but here I am confused. What exactly do I need?

Will a root reset my phone to factory default by the way? Thanks again :)

Titanium Back and MyBackUp Pro are two apps that can be used to backup your apps / data (TiBu requires root while MBP does not)...

Rooting will not reset the phone nor will updating - however, if you have to use the restore files they will erase all info (including internal storage) on your phone.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Side note...have you tried to pull the update by going into phone settings (homescreen, hard menu key, settings) - about phone - updates?

OP
H

helium

Reaction score
Wow such great response on this forum. I've been looking around all morning and day about rooting, and I'm finally starting to feel somewhat comfortable.

Unfortunately the update is not available when searching for it in my phone menu. Should I manually update to 2.3.6 and use this: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/198379-updated-droid-razr-utility-windows.html or stay on 2.3.5 and use http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-root-your-motorola-droid-razr-windows-only??

Thanks for the tips, I'm getting very eager to root now...!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I manually updated my Maxx and took the official OTA on my Razr - no differences at all in the operation of the 2 phones...so if you want to update, give it a try and good luck!

OP
H

helium

Reaction score
Alright, I'm going to manually update to 2.3.6 using the link in the thread, then root using the DROID RAZR Utility. Thanks for your help smalltowngirl, it's very appreciated :)

EDIT: When I plugged in my phone to my PC, MotoCast downloaded and applied the update to my phone. So those of you who are waiting for the update could probably get it this way.

EDIT #2: Is there any application that lets you customize the CPU clocking of DROID RAZR?

Last edited:
OP
H

helium

Reaction score
I used the manual update instead. I get an error message when applying the update saying "E:failed to verify whole-file signature. Installation aborted". Anyone know what to do? :( I can't seem to find any relevant information about this.

Last edited:

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
You are not currently rooted correct, no changes to your current device (apps froze or anything)?

If not, possibly a bad download...

Axiom [R]azr, maxx'd out with AOKP!

OP
H

helium

Reaction score
Everything is normal, still. Damn, I really want to root my device today! Perhaps I shall just root the 2.3.5? Will it be possible to update to 2.3.6 without losing the root? Or will this complicate things?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Yes, you can root 2.3.5 & attempt to maintain with the voodoo root keeper app (I say attempt cause it seems to produced different results for all)...

But hold on a minute, I want to check out another option... Be right back... LOL

Axiom [R]azr, maxx'd out with AOKP!