Removing root for D2G with 629

nafran

Reaction score
So the digitizer on my D2G lost its mind a few weeks back and I finally got around to getting a replacement from Verizon and now I need to get rid of root on the one I'm sending back.

When 629 came out I used OTA rootkeeper to keep the root from 608. Now I want to get rid of root access and back to stock. When I tried using Pete's root tools, I get an error that it can't access the right directories. I know that my root is still intact because I can still use Autokiller and have already unfrozen all of the apps I froze with TiB. Is there a step in here I'm missing?

If not, is there a manual process for getting rid of root? I found another thread that said "I used root explorer and deleted the superuser [COLOR=#812528 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#812528 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]apks[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] there were too got rid of busy box and su too! Is it ready to go back?" but it was from 12/2010.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...rrow-superuser-ask-removal-2.html#post1132348

Is that still the way to go? Are there any special considerations for 629? Thanks in advance for any help!

silver6054

Reaction score
Does the Temp Unroot function of Rootkeeper work for you? That, followed by a factory reset (to remove all your root-needed apps) might be enough. It will still leave root stuff backed up, but that's not so obvious, unless they look for it.

Or, might be overkill, but you can now do an SBF using the technique in [How-to]unbricking downgraded 629 & root normal function OTA 629 - Droid 2 / R2D2 / Milestone 2 / Droid 2 Global - RootzWiki This will remove any modifications that you have done. Just don't do the root/rootkeeper steps in that post.

OP
N

nafran

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back on this. Forgot to mention...that was my first attempt at removing the root. After the factory reset, the SuperUser app was still in the drawer. That's when I started looking into removing the APKs themselves, followed by a reset. As for the latest news on rooting the 629 update I was a bit gun-shy about doing that, just in case it did get bricked and I've only got 5 days to send it back!

I'll definitely keep an eye on that thread until I have to ship back, but am still hoping for an easy way to get rid of the SuperUser stuff without much of a risk.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
A while ago, you could unroot using Z4 Root if you used the D3 method. Probably applicable here.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
if you SBF, they will not not find anything
bootloader will say
MEM-MAP Blank error
just tell them update failed and bricked the phone

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
A while ago, you could unroot using Z4 Root if you used the D3 method. Probably applicable here.
the .629 update is unrootable, except by rootkeeper

edit: guess it's worth, a shot though