Z4Root on Droid X

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.crawford714

Reaction score
I take no responsibility for what happens to your phone during or after this process.
This is for Android 2.2 OTA
This method does not always work.
I didn’t make any of the apps that were used in this guide.

Things you will need—
-Droid X
-File manager (I use Astro) You can get it in the Android Market
-Micro USB charge cord
-Computer with internet connection (PC or Mac)

Optional but highly recommended—Bootstrap (back-up)

Step 1—Download z4root1.3.0.apk (if your not a premium member you just have to wait like 40 seconds, no biggy)

Step 2—Connect your phone to the computer via the micro USB cable. Open your phone on the computer like a hard drive.

Step 3—Copy the .apk onto your phone (I was using a Mac for this so I could just drag it) Now disconnect your phone from your computer.

Step 4—Open your file manager, find your “Z,” there should be a file that is called z4root.1.3.0. Click it, hit “Open App Manager,” click “Install.”

Step 5—There should be an app called “z4root” in your App drawer. Open it, click “Permanent Root” This may take two tries, if it gets stuck on “Running exploit in order to obtain root access…” for more than five minutes, you may have to battery pull. Do this again and it should work. Your phone should reboot.

Step 6—After your phone reboots, go into your app drawer and there should be a app called “Superuser” the icon is a skull and cross-bones. Open it, it should say “su is up to date”

Congratulations you are now rooted!

Now the smart thing to do is make a back-up.

You will need to download DroidXBootstrap. Koush's DroidXBootstrap
They are exactly the same thing, just different sources. Koush is the developer of the Droid X Bootstrap.

Now connect your phone to the computer. You’re essentially doing the same thing with Bootstrap that you did with Z4root. Put the file onto your phone. Open Astro, click on the file, “Install” and/or “Launch” Click “Bootstrap Recovery” then “Reboot Recovery” This should reboot your phone into recovery called clockwork. Use the volume buttons to scroll, camera button to enter and the back button, well…goes back. Scroll down to backup and restore, hit enter. You have three options now, click backup. After this, go to the main menu and click “reboot system now.” This will reboot your phone normally. It might be a good idea to rename your back ups so you know which one you would like to restore.

To restore, open Bootstrap again. Click on Bootstrap recovery, then reboot recovery, this will put you back into clockwork. Go down to Backup/restore, enter. Click backup. Now you should see a list of backups, hopefully you renamed them so you know which one you want. There should be a list of no’s and a yes after you select the one you would like. Select Yes and now your phone should start to restore.

For more information click here, I used this guide to root and backup my own phone. I do not take credit for this guide.

I hope this helps some people dancedroid

Last edited:
OP
t.crawford714

t.crawford714

Reaction score
I figured that out after I wrote the guide. I haven't changed it, I see a mix of people that do it on phone and through a computer. Maybe I'll write one up for on phone...

ON PHONE GUIDE

I take no responsibility for what happens to your phone during or after this process.
This is for Android 2.2 OTA
This method does not always work.
I didn’t make any of the apps that were used in this guide.

Things you will need—
-Droid X
-File manager (I use Astro) You can get it in the Android Market

Optional but highly recommended—Bootstrap (back-up)

Step 1—Download z4root1.3.0.apk onto your phone

Step 2—Open your file manager, find your “Z,” there should be a file that is called z4root.1.3.0. Click it, hit “Open App Manager,” click “Install.”

Step 3—There should be an app called “z4root” in your App drawer. Open it, click “Permanent Root” This may take two tries, if it gets stuck on “Running exploit in order to obtain root access…” for more than five minutes, you may have to battery pull. Do this again and it should work. Your phone should reboot.

Step 4—After your phone reboots, go into your app drawer and there should be a app called “Superuser” the icon is a skull and cross-bones. Open it, it should say “su is up to date”

Congratulations you are now rooted!

Now the smart thing to do is make a back-up.

You will need to download DroidXBootstrap. Koush's DroidXBootstrap
They are exactly the same thing, just different sources. Koush is the developer of the Droid X Bootstrap.

You’re essentially doing the same thing with Bootstrap that you did with Z4root. Open Astro (or your file manager), click on the file, “Install” and/or “Launch” Click “Bootstrap Recovery” then “Reboot Recovery” This should reboot your phone into recovery called clockwork. Use the volume buttons to scroll, camera button to enter and the back button, well…goes back. Scroll down to backup and restore, hit enter. You have three options now, click backup. After this, go to the main menu and click “reboot system now.” This will reboot your phone normally. It might be a good idea to rename your back ups so you know which one you would like to restore.

To restore, open Bootstrap again. Click on Bootstrap recovery, then reboot recovery, this will put you back into clockwork. Go down to Backup/restore, enter. Click backup. Now you should see a list of backups, hopefully you renamed them so you know which one you want. There should be a list of no’s and a yes after you select the one you would like. Select Yes and now your phone should start to restore.

For more information click here, I used this guide to root and backup my own phone. I do not take credit for this guide.

I hope this helps some people

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The apk can be dl'd directly on the phone itself, knocking out all of the computer steps. Once download is complete, drag down your notification bar and touch the "download complete" notification and select install. Then follow the rest of this guide.
OP, I know Koush offers his app for free from his website and paid (donation) in the market but, you should edit your post and put his web address there. Just a thought..

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
t.crawford714

t.crawford714

Reaction score
The apk can be dl'd directly on the phone itself, knocking out all of the computer steps. Once download is complete, drag down your notification bar and touch the "download complete" notification and select install. Then follow the rest of this guide.
OP, I know Koush offers his app for free from his website and paid (donation) in the market but, you should edit your post and put his web address there. Just a thought..

Ok, will do if I can find the download link on his site again.

Got it in there now.

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can replace that url
http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/08/droid-x-recovery.html
with this one. Just didn't want anybody saying anything, you know?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why write a new guide when its as simple as downloading the apps from you phone and running them?

This is only the third guide I've seen on this and I asked that same question each time.

OP
t.crawford714

t.crawford714

Reaction score
You can replace that url
My Brain Hurts: Droid X Recovery (and Droid 2 too!)
with this one. Just didn't want anybody saying anything, you know?

I put Koush's link in there now.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Why write a new guide when its as simple as downloading the apps from you phone and running them?

This is only the third guide I've seen on this and I asked that same question each time.

i think some people still have a hard time even with this step and how to go about using an apk file.

OP
t.crawford714

t.crawford714

Reaction score
Don't forget to tell people to allow app installs from third party sources - else you can't install the z4root.

Also, your clockworkmod recovery tutorial isn't very beefy. You might want to supplement it with mine:

Droid X Koush Backup and Restore Tutorial

What you mean? I just tried to download it, it went into the browser and did it just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Don't forget to tell people to allow app installs from third party sources - else you can't install the z4root.

Also, your clockworkmod recovery tutorial isn't very beefy. You might want to supplement it with mine:

Droid X Koush Backup and Restore Tutorial

What you mean? I just tried to download it, it went into the browser and did it just fine.

most unrooted phones this is unchecked bc most dont know about apps other than the market. have to go into settings to check "unknown sources" to install 3rd party apps

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.