z4root not working for me

mitchb2

Reaction score
I just ran z4root on my Droid 1. It finishes and says my phone is now rooted, but both SetCPU and BusyBox tell me that my phone is not rooted, so they can't run.

mikeyrocks

Reaction score
There are two z4root apps in the market, one with some japanese symbols and one in all english. I used the foreign one first and it did the same thing, I uninstalled and installed the english one and it rooted first try...hope this helps.

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
There are two z4root apps in the market, one with some japanese symbols and one in all english. I used the foreign one first and it did the same thing, I uninstalled and installed the english one and it rooted first try...hope this helps.

I used the one that's in English.

I don't know how to do "superuser" that's mentioned above.
I just thought I could run z4root without having to know all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes. :)

mikeyrocks

Reaction score
Dude, I did the same thing, and it really hurt me in the long run...it is super important to know all the big terms involved in rooting and flashing...because I almost bricked my phone just the other day...if you go to the market and install "wireless tether for rooted" and it will tell you specifically if you are rooted or not, if not, then uninstall the z4, reinstall, reboot before attempting to root, and then try to root. That's the extent of my technological knowledge haha. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
I rebooted and ran z4 again. This time Wireless Tether tells me I'm rooted. When I run SetCPU it says it doesn't have root access.

I open Superuser but can't find any way to grant root access.

mikeyrocks

Reaction score
Weird, I never had a problem with superuser, actually, I haven't even used it since it was downloaded. I just allow root programs to access its privileges. As long as superuser is there and tether works, I believe that means you're rooted.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
I keep losing root. Wireless tether says I'm rooted and so does z4. I open super user and it's blank. I go back to wireless tether and it says I'm not rooted.

uthguy9

Reaction score
z4root - su not working

The same problem as few people reported. Permission denied after running perm root. The Superuser icon stays, I click on it and get message:

There is a new version of the su binary available. Press OK to attempt to install it.

I do that and get:

Error - su not updated. File su-2.3.1-bin-signed.[COLOR=#00C800 ! important][COLOR=#00C800 ! important]zip[/COLOR][/COLOR] has been placed on your SD. Reboot into recovery and flash it.

So I do that and:

failed to open /[COLOR=#00C800 ! important][COLOR=#00C800 ! important]sdcard[/COLOR][/COLOR]
/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

What's the deal?

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
That's exactly what happened to me.
I'm not confident enough now to root without doing all the research, and it's just not important enough for me to spend the time. So I guess I give up on the "one-click" root.

mikeyrocks

Reaction score
That's really unfortunate, it ran flawlessly on my phone and I am thrilled with how much better my phone is running after installing a custom ROM...I'd give it one more go if I were you, uninstall any "root related" apps you've installed, reinstall z4 root (English), root, install ROM Manager, and Wireless Tether, and see what happens...I have heard so many success stories from z4, it was great for a noob like me. Sorry bro.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
Is ROM Manager a required part of the process?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
dam, worked flawless for me two weeks ago......
I was running 2.2......warranty rehab phone, droid 1

Well, I don't understand what happened after two weeks ago. Does anyone else?