YouTube is Introducing 6 Second Un-Skippable Bumper Ads

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Here's a story from yesterday that we didn't quite get to at the end of the day. YouTube just announced they are planning to implement their new 6 second un-skippable micro-ads. They are called bumper ads and Project Manager Zach Lupei described them as — “a new six-second video format […] ideal for driving incremental reach and frequency, especially on mobile, where “snackable videos” perform well.”

Luepi also shared, “We like to think of Bumper ads as little haikus of video ads – and we’re excited to see what the creative community will do with them." While we appreciate his passion for his job, we can imagine that being un-skippable might irritate YouTube users. You can check out an example of the Bumper ads above. Let us know what you think of them.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, that's not HORRIBLE. Any word on whether these ads will be shown to everyone, or just folks without YT Red? It's funny. There was a time when I didn't bother signing in to YT on my PC, but since Red became a thing and I got it in addition to my GPM subscription, I log in right away when the first ad shows up. Worth the money over and over again.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
YouTube has ads that run for 5 seconds before you can skip. 6 seconds won't be that bad. Wonder if you need your account setup for ads for these to show or if they'll run regardless

Tapped from a Nexus 6

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Jonny, as a YTRed user, is there other benefits of paying besides no adds?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Jonny, as a YTRed user, is there other benefits of paying besides no adds?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
YT Music? Original content that's not available? I don't really know. I got the Red subscription as a bonus add-on to the Google Play Music subscription I've had since it debuted. Idk if I'd pay for "just" a Red subscription (I think they're still bundled together, no matter which subscription you get), but I definitely enjoy not having to worry about ads on top of being able to stream all of the music I want with GPM (and within my data limit).

@pc747 Got into the YT Music side of the subscription. Maybe he can shed more light on the benefits...

realged13

Reaction score
I am really thinking about cancelling Spotify (even though I love it) in favor of GPM so I get the addition of Red so when I play videos for my daughter, she doesn't start screaming because her video got interrupted,