Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm creating this thread to provide a place for all new Note 4 users to share their first impressions.

Please include your previous device(s) so others know where you're coming from.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My first impressions-

I'm coming from the s4.

PERFORMANCE: The note 4 is definitely snappy. I'm typing this post on it right now. I type pretty fast whether using swiftkey's swipe feature or tapping in landscape (which I'm currently doing) and the Note has no problem keeping up with me. Screen transitions & everything else are quite fast as well.

SCREEN: What can be said that hasn't already been shared in reviews? Not much. It's large & ridiculously crisp. I was using it in direct sunlight earlier with no real issue seeing things that were hard to see on the s4.

CAMERA: I've only taken one picture & one selfie to check it out. It's fast & images are as clear as expected from reviews.

S PEN: Going to take some getting used to, but I think I'll like having it. I tested the feature where the phone alerts you when you leave the pen behind by setting it on the coffee table in the basement & going upstairs for a drink. It alerted me once, which I didn't check while getting water & then again shortly after. This will be invaluable as time goes on. The pen itself is quite smooth gliding along the screen. I'm adding this & a couple other things to this post using the pen & swiping on SwiftKey. Very nice.

UI: Say what you will about Touchwiz. I personally don't mind it & shut off all the extra stuff I don't use. The biggest change for me coming from the s4 is the menu button being replaced by the recent apps button. Though I'm still adjusting, I think this was an amazing change, as Google Now is now available by long pressing the home button instead of long pressing the home button & then pressing Google on the screen.

SOUND: Volume is at least as good as my s4 on the back speaker. I just watched a YouTube video & had to lower it a few clicks to listen comfortably.

BATTERY: No word on longevity yet, but the fast charger works as advertised. Even with downloading apps & getting them all logged in & setup, it's charging quick.

These are my basic first impressions while setting the phone up. Definitely happy with the decision.

How's your experience? Feel free to organize your thoughts however you like. No need to follow my breakdown.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
UI: Say what you will about Touchwiz. I personally don't mind it & shut off all the extra stuff I don't use. The biggest change for me coming from the s4 is the menu button being replaced by the recent apps button. Though I'm still adjusting, I think this was an amazing change, as Google Now is now available by long pressing the home button instead of long pressing the home button & then pressing Google on the screen.

Just in case you haven't seen anything about it yet, long pressing the recent apps button acts as a menu button. Hopefully that will help ease the transition. :)

Thanks for your thoughts! I can't wait to get mine tomorrow.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just in case you haven't seen anything about it yet, long pressing the recent apps button acts as a menu button. Hopefully that will help ease the transition. :)

I have. Doesn't always seem to work, but those may be apps that the relay menu button didn't work in either. Haha

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have. Doesn't always seem to work, but those may be apps that the relay menu button didn't work in either. Haha

Yep, that's why. I've run into the same thing at times on my S5. Since Google moved away from physical navigation buttons, some apps have stopped supporting the relay menu button.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+

AwesomeI just learned something new lol. Thanks for that. I also like that when you hit the once menu button you can long press on of the apps (certain apps of course) can have them in a mini screen if you will. Do wiwish they would have kept the speaker on the bottom of the phone coming from the note 3 I liked that but oh well. Loving my new note 4.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Have you used the speaker though? I finally played some music earlier. Wow. It's nice & loud.

Sent from my Note 4

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Yeah but I bought the S-View case for it and when it's lying down or I have the cover folded back the sound is kind of muffled. But still sounds good.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Yeah so as long as your holding it and don't set it on a table and don't have the cover folded all the way back sounds great.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah so as long as your holding it and don't set it on a table and don't have the cover folded all the way back sounds great.
So far, it doesn't seem any different than the s4 for me, so I'm already Used to a speaker on the back.

This post Was written with my S pen.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Screen on time is 3hrs. Lol

muqupuze.jpg

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Can you verify that swipe typing is still available from the stock Samsung keyboard? Settings, Control, Language and Inputs, Samsung Keyboard, Continuous Input. Your Settings location for the keyboard will probably be different since I am still running an earlier version of TW.

Moulton

Reaction score
Can you verify that swipe typing is still available from the stock Samsung keyboard? Settings, Control, Language and Inputs, Samsung Keyboard, Continuous Input. Your Settings location for the keyboard will probably be different since I am still running an earlier version of TW.

Yes it's still available.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Still there. I used it a little at first, but I prefer SwiftKey.

Sent from my Note 4