Yet Another Contact Issue...

jrredho

Reaction score
Hey All,

I did a pretty extensive site search for this, but found nothing, so I'm hopeful that some of you experts can help:

I have some contacts, say for example for folks from Europe, whose contacts are concatenations of other contacts, such as overseas access numbers, with pauses or waits separating them.

The problem is this: If I have more than one number for that contact, such as both a mobile and home listing, then only one of the phone numbers, say the home one, will be listed under their name when I try to select and dial the number.

This is despite the fact that these contacts list correctly on my phone when I select to edit it, and they also list correctly in a Gmail browser window. They just don't list correctly in my Moto Droid's contacts list when I've picked it as one I'd like to dial.

Has anyone out there noticed this behavior besides me? What, if anything, were you able to do to fix or mitigate it?

Thanks in advance...

cheers,
john

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure you can only pick one default number for the droid. i suggest you make some direct dial shortcuts in a folder for the other numbers. hope that helps.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I did a pretty extensive site search for this, but found nothing, so I'm hopeful that some of you experts can help:

I have some contacts, say for example for folks from Europe, whose contacts are concatenations of other contacts, such as overseas access numbers, with pauses or waits separating them.

The problem is this: If I have more than one number for that contact, such as both a mobile and home listing, then only one of the phone numbers, say the home one, will be listed under their name when I try to select and dial the number.

This is despite the fact that these contacts list correctly on my phone when I select to edit it, and they also list correctly in a Gmail browser window. They just don't list correctly in my Moto Droid's contacts list when I've picked it as one I'd like to dial.

Has anyone out there noticed this behavior besides me? What, if anything, were you able to do to fix or mitigate it?

Thanks in advance...

cheers,
john
can you explain the process of how you're selecting the contact to dial? for instance, when i select a contact wiith multiple numbers, it comes back and says:

Call work
Call mobile
Call car

etc.

What does yours do?

OP
J

jrredho

Reaction score
can you explain the process of how you're selecting the contact to dial? for instance, when i select a contact wiith multiple numbers, it comes back and says:

Call work
Call mobile
Call car

etc.

What does yours do?

That's just it. For the case I used as an example, I *should* see:

Call Home
Call Mobile

but I only see one:

Call Home

I cannot see both listings to select among the two.

Thanks again!

cheers,
john

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Call work
Call mobile
Call car

etc.

What does yours do?

That's just it. For the case I used as an example, I *should* see:

Call Home
Call Mobile

but I only see one:

Call Home

I cannot see both listings to select among the two.

Thanks again!

cheers,
john

I just took a look at a name I had with multiple numbers. When I pressed on the name the multiple numbers appeared.

Don't know if that helps or not but I thought I would throw it out there.

misfit

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I have seen issue (back on WM phone) where a contact with similar but very long numbers did not realize the numbers differed. The compare was for less digits than the actual number.

But I added contact on my phone with the number
+44 0612 999-9999....1234
And a second number as
+44 0612 999-9999....1235

I tried this as a Google contact and as an exchange contact.

I am afraid I can not duplicate your issue. Can you be more specific?

OP
J

jrredho

Reaction score
I guess I'm not being perfectly clear: Almost all of my contacts that have multiple numbers *do* list all of those numbers when I select one of them.

It's only for the case where the contact has, say, a common access number (such as MCI) prepended to multiple numbers for that contact that only one of the numbers will be shown.

Thanks!

cheers,
john

OP
J

jrredho

Reaction score
Misfit,

Thanks to you and all the others who are trying to help me figure this out. To all of you, yes, I can be more specific.

I'm changing the numbers but here goes...

These contacts were cut and pasted from Gmail.

First is the access number I mentioned. You can think of it as something like MCI but cheap for European phone calls:

AccuLinQ

8008468413 - Work

Now, this is one of my friends in Germany:

Bruno

8008468413;011497613974112 - Home

8008468413;0114915779871459 - Mobile

Notice how the first part of Bruno's numbers is the number listed for the contact AccuLinQ. I then have a wait until release via the ';' and follow that with the 01149 part, which is the same as +49, and, finally, the in-country number.

When I select Bruno's contact, I only see:

Call Home

But if I choose "Edit Contact" I see both of his numbers.

Does any of this make any sense?

cheers,
john

misfit

Reaction score
I have duplicated the issue.
I ran into the same thing on WM phone.
For a work around - I would add 2 contacts.
Bruno-H with number like
8008468413;011497613974112
and
Bruno-W
8008468413;0114915779871459

I have run into a contact issue with MS Exchange.
My daughter's name is Elizabeth
My niece's name is Lisa
For some reason it combines both entries into one.
I tried combinations for my daughter as Beth, etc. and it still combined them.

Finally, I set up Beth and Lisa-XX to work around the issue.

johall07

Reaction score
I have duplicated the issue.
I ran into the same thing on WM phone.
For a work around - I would add 2 contacts.
Bruno-H with number like
8008468413;011497613974112
and
Bruno-W
8008468413;0114915779871459

if all the contacts with this problem only have 2 numbers could you just put 1800 for one and 800 for the other or does that not work dialing wise

Silver Member
Reaction score
since the pause is not actually part of the number dialed, this is your problem. i'd think any contact database would have troubles with this.

OP
J

jrredho

Reaction score
since the pause is not actually part of the number dialed, this is your problem. i'd think any contact database would have troubles with this.

Maybe that's it, I just don't know.

Here's another example with some similarities, but no pauses or waits: I have to forward my mobile every day to my work number. To do this, I have a contact named "Forward to Work" that I also set up for speed dial. Here's the contact info:

Forward to Work
*725055551212 Work

Now it just so happens that I have a contact named "Me" with the following:

Me
5055551213 Home
5055551212 Work

Now, if I look at the Call Log after using the "Forward to Work" speed dial, it indicates that it's called "Me" and truncates the *72 part off. This means that I cannot forward my phone using the Call Log.

Maybe all of this is based on the fact that these smart phones sometimes outsmart us!

Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone. I think I'll just have to use Misfit's workaround for these few numbers for now, but it'd really be great if there was a more sophisticated way to do things. I'll just have to wait to find one of those... :)

cheers,
john

Silver Member
Reaction score
*## are carrier functions that designate a task to perform (such as forwarding). they are also not part of the phone number and get truncated.

fwiw, whenever i queue a conference number to call, i dial 5551212pp12334567# so that i don't have to look up the access code. whenever i need to redial that number, everything pause and after, drops off of the log.