Yahoo Email?

SorenW

Reaction score
I just got an email from Verizon saying that with the 2.1 upgrade, I can get my Yahoo email now. Here is what the email says "Free Yahoo!® Mail is now supported—simply sign in with your Yahoo! email address and password." I cant seem to find an app for that, so I what am I suppose to sign into?

Soren

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just got an email from Verizon saying that with the 2.1 upgrade, I can get my Yahoo email now. Here is what the email says "Free Yahoo!® Mail is now supported—simply sign in with your Yahoo! email address and password." I cant seem to find an app for that, so I what am I suppose to sign into?

Soren

OK, so I would think they mean in the native Email app. Open it up and while it is open touch the Add account button at the bottom. Hopefully it's an easier process than it was in 2.0.1. For that you had to do the following which I'll post just because some of the settings may help you out.

How to set up Yahoo! IMAP email (non-root solution)

This does not require Yahoo! Plus Mail, the paid service of Yahoo! mail.
1. From the home screen, pull up the applications tab (at the bottom of the screen)
2. Touch Email
3. Touch Manual Setup at the bottom left corner
- Select the IMAP option
4. In the incoming server settings, enter the details as follows:
Username: [email protected] (enter your complete yahoo email address)
Password: enter your yahoo password
IMAP Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 143
Security Type: None
IMAP Path Prefix: leave blank
5. Touch next to continue to SMTP Server Settings and enter the details as follows:
SMTP: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 587
Security Type: None (Checkmark “required sign-in”)
Username: [email protected] (enter your complete yahoo email address again)
Password: enter your yahoo email password again
6. Touch Next
7. Fill out your personal information (Name etc.)
(If you are having problems be sure that WiFi is OFF then try again)

Last edited:

jman09

Reaction score
Yeah it's definitely a lot easier than that. I redid it the new way just to make sure it is right and it works the same if not better.
You just open the email app hit the menu button, select accounts, then add new account and just type in your email address and password and it sets it up for you.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah it's definitely a lot easier than that. I redid it the new way just to make sure it is right and it works the same if not better.
You just open the email app hit the menu button, select accounts, then add new account and just type in your email address and password and it sets it up for you.

Good to know! Obviously I don't have Yahoo email, but a lot of people ask, so now I know the answer. Thanks!

yukon

Reaction score
can someone help me? i tried doing it through email app ang gmail app and it wont connect to server.....

yukon

Reaction score
my wifi is always off. i figured it out, it only works for domains that end on yahoo.com
i have ymail.com, which is also yahoo domain but for some reason they were offering this different .com so i went with it and now im paying for it.... oh well but thanks guys i really appreciate your help!

DIRTYDOGG

Reaction score

Soren

OK, so I would think they mean in the native Email app. Open it up and while it is open touch the Add account button at the bottom. Hopefully it's an easier process than it was in 2.0.1. For that you had to do the following which I'll post just because some of the settings may help you out.

How to set up Yahoo! IMAP email (non-root solution)

This does not require Yahoo! Plus Mail, the paid service of Yahoo! mail.
1. From the home screen, pull up the applications tab (at the bottom of the screen)
2. Touch Email
3. Touch Manual Setup at the bottom left corner
- Select the IMAP option
4. In the incoming server settings, enter the details as follows:
Username: [email protected] (enter your complete yahoo email address)
Password: enter your yahoo password
IMAP Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 143
Security Type: None
IMAP Path Prefix: leave blank
5. Touch next to continue to SMTP Server Settings and enter the details as follows:
SMTP: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 587
Security Type: None (Checkmark “required sign-in”)
Username: [email protected] (enter your complete yahoo email address again)
Password: enter your yahoo email password again
6. Touch Next
7. Fill out your personal information (Name etc.)
(If you are having problems be sure that WiFi is OFF then try again)

Thanks Anne I followed step by steps you gave and works perfect :)

Once again this place is hands down best help section any where :)

Dogg

Tony42273

Reaction score
every 5 minutes

thanks for all the info.....I do have one question, is there anyway to have the yahoo mail push directly without the phone checking every 5 minutes, like it does with blackberry?

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
thanks for all the info.....I do have one question, is there anyway to have the yahoo mail push directly without the phone checking every 5 minutes, like it does with blackberry?

While you have your email open, touch the Menu soft key (four lines at the bottom of your screen) and choose Account settings > Email check frequency > and then scroll UP to select Automatic (push).

Mule65

Reaction score
While you have your email open, touch the Menu soft key (four lines at the bottom of your screen) and choose Account settings > Email check frequency > and then scroll UP to select Automatic (push).

I don't get "Automatic (push)" option with free Yahoo mail on my Droid.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I don't get "Automatic (push)" option with free Yahoo mail on my Droid.

Rats! You're right. I have the option on two of my three email accounts - not on the Hotmail one. Sorry.