XM on Droid??

1stdroid

Reaction score
I have XM in my car. The have a free online listening interface included with the subscription. I'm listening to it now as I type this at the office. It just streams XM via my Windows media player. Very nice.

So, the question is, has anyone figured out a way to stream XM on the droid? There must be a way since it's just a web based radio, effectively.

I haven't played with Pandora much but my son has used it for years and loves it. I just have a few XM channels I really like and would love to have them on my phone.

Silver Member
Reaction score
it's been covered a few times (there are multiple threads on multiple forums). streaming to droid from xm/sirius is not possible right now because there is no windows media player support (.asf).

we are all waiting for flash 10.1 to come out to see if we can get the stream via the website.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have XM in my car. The have a free online listening interface included with the subscription. I'm listening to it now as I type this at the office. It just streams XM via my Windows media player. Very nice.

So, the question is, has anyone figured out a way to stream XM on the droid? There must be a way since it's just a web based radio, effectively.

I haven't played with Pandora much but my son has used it for years and loves it. I just have a few XM channels I really like and would love to have them on my phone.

Just an FYI XM on line is not included with the subscription, it comes with an additional cost. They ended the free webcast sometime back.

You may want to take a closer look at your bill.

Silver Member
Reaction score

Just an FYI XM on line is not included with the subscription, it comes with an additional cost. They ended the free webcast sometime back.

You may want to take a closer look at your bill.
The have a free online listening interface included with the subscription.

OP is already listening online.

iclickjohn

Reaction score
I check the marketplace every few days for xm as well as Kinoma Play. Both that I miss from my Omnia. I've checked. No extra cost for online usage on my bill. I've been with xm since their first year. I need it on my Droid very bad. I have sent personal emails to both services to recommend Android development. (no response from xm. Kinoma said that they don't release any info on upcoming versions) It was a long time since I had steamed anything from Pandora and was forced to use that instead. I was VERY surprised how it has improved. It is a very good stand-in while waiting for xm.

OP

1stdroid

Reaction score
Thanks all.

I renewed my XM sub about a week ago and was informed there is now a $2.99 per month charge for the online service. I've been listening to XM all day in my office for years. It may have something to do with my continuously negotiating low rates. I have paid the initial promotional rate since August of '06. It was included for 3 months on my vehicle and then $77 annual fee. That's all I've paid annually since '06.

I guess I'll need to check out Pandora. My son loves it. Also, you can get a free 7 day trial of XM online (better sound and full access to channels as compared to the free service I had) for each email address you have. I have at least 10 so, I've got some time before I need to worry about it.

Definitely not worth $2.99 a month if I can't listen on my droid. When you try to download flash player 2.1, it has a message stating it will be available for android phones around mid 2010.

OP

1stdroid

Reaction score
Ooohps, the flash player version needed for XM on droid is 10.1.

bluedust

Reaction score
Thanks all.

I renewed my XM sub about a week ago and was informed there is now a $2.99 per month charge for the online service. I've been listening to XM all day in my office for years. It may have something to do with my continuously negotiating low rates. I have paid the initial promotional rate since August of '06. It was included for 3 months on my vehicle and then $77 annual fee. That's all I've paid annually since '06.

I guess I'll need to check out Pandora. My son loves it. Also, you can get a free 7 day trial of XM online (better sound and full access to channels as compared to the free service I had) for each email address you have. I have at least 10 so, I've got some time before I need to worry about it.

Definitely not worth $2.99 a month if I can't listen on my droid. When you try to download flash player 2.1, it has a message stating it will be available for android phones around mid 2010.

I've been with Sirius since they started, so I understand how you feel, they have no money so I dunno when they'll actually develop an app on the Droid.

I find Droidlive's quality is better than Pandora and you can also get a few Sirius/XM stations streamed in Shoutcast through it.

tender82

Reaction score
Something else you might want to check out is Slacker. They actually have stations that mimic those found on Sirius/XM. You can also edit them if you want.

Just an FYI.

mgb82

Reaction score
I've had XM for 4+ years and just ditched because of the Pandora App. IMO Pandora>XM, you can skip songs you don't like, create your own stations and the music variety is 100x better. The $15/month I am saving on XM covers my more expensive data plan upgrade with this phone! (had the Vpack)

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've had XM for 4+ years and just ditched because of the Pandora App. IMO Pandora>XM, you can skip songs you don't like, create your own stations and the music variety is 100x better. The $15/month I am saving on XM covers my more expensive data plan upgrade with this phone! (had the Vpack)
That's all fine and dandy until you lose 3g coverage.

stumpie

Reaction score

I did the same thing .. Pandora is Fantastic ! I'm discovering new music every day ..