WOW Love the Droid so much I bought two but I need help!

sterdroids

Reaction score
Believe it or not I just moved over from the Samsung i730 been using it for years. it did what i needed it to do!

I love the Droid its great but I need help with a few things so far:

(1) I took a video of the kids its was 10MB it asked if i want to share it after I stopped recording. I said yes through gmail but it then said file was too large? 10MB too large? So i moved it over to the cpu but my mac couldnt read it the file audio was fine video was green so I tried VLC player that worked fine.

My question is how do I share videos I take on the droid? If i need to transfer them to the cpu what do i use to convert it so I can reduce the size and send it to others?

(2) If I transfer a file from the cpu to the Droid where does it go on the SD card? can I see the SD card from the droid and double click on the files I transfer to the card? Say an MP3 or do i have to seach through the music button on the droid?

(3) Streaming radio a specific program. how do I do this? it seems most of the streams for the program are in Windows Media or Qucik time. This is one reason why I still use the i730. is it possible to stream windows streams to the droid? or is there an app that will allow this?

(4) How do you lock the touch screen when playing music if its in your pocket if you are jogging the screen gets pressed by accident.

thanks

Last edited:

LordKastle

Reaction score
Have you tried to manually log in at GMAIL.com through the browser and attempting? Not sure if it would work.

For the radio..I use StreamFurious to stream online stations at SomaFM.com .... maybe a program like this is what you are looking for.

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Do you know if Streamfurious can stream any station or is there a list of certain station that would work?

When you say go to gmail direct can you attach files to a gmail that way on the phone.

I really love this phone but believe it or not I feel like my 4 year old phone did more (for me) then they Droid does. At the moment. I really want to keep this phone but I need to figure out how to do the few things I want.

(1) Stream a particular program
(2) be able to open pdfs, excel files
(3) can i transfer video files to the droid? like things I have captured on my comptuer tv shows etc and watch them on the droid?
(4) Also any recommendation on what video editor to download to reduce the droid videos or change the format?

thanks!!!!!

Last edited:

LordKastle

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I don't know if StreamFurious opens Windows Media streams (or if any Android device can)...if there is an option for MP3 stream then yes. Not sure what is out there. I remember a couple of months ago hearing about a rumored development.

Documents To Go is a program that allows you to open Excel and Word files for instance but the paid version allows you to edit. Not sure about what other similar programs are out there.

If you go to Gmail.com and log in through the browser, its different than the application that comes with the phone. You can attach it there too.

You can watch movies, etc on your Droid phone.

If you want direct access to your SD (Edit/add/delete folders, etc) then download a file manager app like Astro or ES File Explorer. Of course you can do this when your phone is connected to the computer too though.

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
For one THANKS for helping me!

"I'll be honest, I don't know if StreamFurious opens Windows Media streams (or if any Android device can)...if there is an option for MP3 stream then yes. Not sure what is out there. I remember a couple of months ago hearing about a rumored development."

How do you find streams in MP3 format? Is that Shoutcast?

"Documents To Go is a program that allows you to open Excel and Word files for instance but the paid version allows you to edit. Not sure about what other similar programs are out there."

How do I find the free version I did a search and dont see it only $9.99

"You can watch movies, etc on your Droid phone.
If you want direct access to your SD (Edit/add/delete folders, etc) then download a file manager app like Astro or ES File Explorer. Of course you can do this when your phone is connected to the computer too though."

When i go to download Astro it says it needs access to the following

Storage
Network comm,
Sys tools?

Is this a bad thing to give access?

Also for some reason the portrait to landscape mode on the phone is so sensative. It goes to landscape when it shouldnt. anyway to reduce the sensativity?

thanks thanks thanks

thelion

Reaction score
Most apps will need access to those things. It is not bad. Storage is just because it manages your files, system tools is to allow it to open and network comm is for updates. I have downloaded apps that require access to just about everything. Just make sure you have a good anti virus (I use Flexilis - free) and you keep it updated.

The tough thing about the Droid being so new is that not everything is perfectly understood yet. Give it time. I know the first day I had mine I wanted to return it. It was so bare bones and I didn't understand it. But then I did some reading and realized it is actually great that it is so customizable. No two droids will be exactly the same.

thegipper

Reaction score
1. There are a bunch of apps that stream audio
2. Answered
3-4 I use handbrake to convert movies tv shows etc, this screen is beautiful for that.

The access permissions are fine. I just basically allow anything from the marketplace. I would scrutinize permissions from outside apps more closely.

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
thanks again all for the help!

1. There are a bunch of apps that stream audio

?? what apps for window media streams or what app would work on any stations website that I go to

2. Answered

?? it wasnt really answered becasue there is another part to the question. How do I open those files when in the browser on my companies OWA site?

or better yet can I have my IT dept allow my emails to be sent to the Droid through our server like a BB or the like? Its MS Exchange but not sure what build or year etc...

thanks

LordKastle

Reaction score
I am not too sure about some of the questions you asked except one..Others on here are much more knowledgeable when it comes to email servers and such. Just give it some time and they'll help. Obviously if your thread goes pages back on the forum then say something. Its Thanksgiving so I am sure some of the traffic on the website will be down a little bit.

I do not think there are any applications on any Android (not only the moto Droid phone) devices that stream Windows Media content like .Asx, etc. Not yet anyway. I do know that some people are working on applications to allow this in the future...when? I have no idea.

R

racklefratz

I love the Droid its great but I need help with a few things so far:

(1) I took a video of the kids its was 10MB it asked if i want to share it after I stopped recording. I said yes through gmail but it then said file was too large? 10MB too large?

Shouldn't be too large. Gmail help says sent and received messages, including attachments, can be up to 25MB.

Edit: After I posted the above, I tried it with a 13MB video I shot with the phone. Got the same "message too big" error. So the OP is correct. Not sure what's going on. Don't think it's Gmail however.

Last edited by a moderator:

thegipper

Reaction score
Once you have docs to go, try opening a pdf and it should bring up an option which you can than set DTG as the default program for that file.

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
Thanks again all. I did dl DTG but it doesnt work in helping me be able to Download files in the browser from my companies Outlook Web Access Site :(

If I forward to my gmail then I can open the files with DTG but the real question is how do I download files from OWA?

thanks

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
If you go to Gmail.com and log in through the browser, its different than the application that comes with the phone. You can attach it there too.

I am trying to send a video I took with the Droid it doesnt work in the Video Camera Area where it says share through gmail. The file is too big its like 10MB :(

I went to the browser then to gmail and tried it that way but there is no way to attach the file? How do I attach the file or how do people send out the video they take on the Droid?

What am I missing?

thanks