With Unreal tournament 3 engine on Iphone...

Natolx

Reaction score
Epic's Unreal Engine 3 Ported to iPod Touch and iPhone 3GS - Mac Rumors

Why are developers even bothering with Quake I, II etc. Clearly the Droid can handle unreal tournament 3 engine if the iphone can. I don't have much knowledge about porting but is it "easier" technically speaking to port older engines than newer ones(assuming that both are capable of being run on the target devices)? If it is, why is that? Is it because the older engine can be less polished and efficient due the the device's ability to compensate with its "overkill" hardware?

praeceps

Reaction score
No, it's because older engines are simply less complex because they were designed with much more primitive hardware. In other words, the comps of the day couldn't do certain things and so they don't have to rewrite the code for those things... and the added complexity that just comes with more features.

praeceps

Reaction score
You could port CryEngine 2 to the Droid... it wouldn't run with any sort of speed... you'd have secondes/frame instead of frames/second. It's not a matter of performance, it's the complexity of the code.

Delirious17

Reaction score
ARM architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Search Motorola Droid...both the iPhone 3GS and the Motorola Droid (among other devices you may find to recognize...Pandora anyone?) have the same ARM Cortex-A8 processor (except the iPhone 3GS has an 833 underclocked at 600 and the Droid has a 600 underclocked at 550, for battery conservation I'm sure)

Also
PowerVR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Same type of video processing.
Apple's is done by Samsung I do believe, and the Droid's is done by Texas Instruments.

Also both phones have 256mb of RAM.

I have the latest iPod 3rd generation. It is snappy and runs a lot of games great...I mean google N.O.V.A...a shooter that just came out by Gameloft I believe for the iPod/iPhone...it's basically their version of Halo.

I of course prefer and love my Droid over my iPod any day, and can't wait to see this come and take us by storm...I just wish that it will be as easy to get ahold of and mess around with as it is with Quake 1/2 on our phones, ala open source. (I already have purchased the .pak files)
I also have purchased UT3, so why not just release the game engine, and you supply your own game files, or at least some shareware version so it doesn't get taken down the market because they put the fullware version of Quake/Doom on it without proper permissions.

Also why the hell hasn't Quake 3 been ported over yet?

LordKastle

Reaction score
Bothering what?

Why are developers bothering to port classics like Quake rather than Unreal? I think that its clear....Unreal can't hold a candle to Quake.

That all being said, remember all these port-overs were not official. The actual developers were porting their games over to the iPhone and it was up to the average joe to crack it on to Android. This is why ID sent Google a letter of copyright infringement and to remove the Quake and Doom games from the marketplace.

But a couple remarks were on another thread and it looks like it will be coming this way...
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ething-those-thinking-about-droid-chew-4.html

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read that article yesterday and it mentioned that this engine will be available on another mobile OS in 2010. Down in the comments on Engadget, a lot of folks were speculating that Android is that OS.

Delirious17

Reaction score
Kastle, Quake 1-3 are open source except for the .pak files...as far as I know, none of the Unreal engines are open source.

draje

Reaction score
I was not expecting this. However, I was expecting a Linux release... about two years ago.