Wireless Tethering

mdbrock7

Reaction score
I am coming from a Windows mobile phone that allowed wireless tethering with a program called WMwifirouter. Does the Droid x have anything like this available? I don't always have a usb cable with me and my netbook does not have bluetooth

AngryMob

Reaction score
Will I get in trouble with Verizon if I use the wireless tethering with my rooted Droid 2 without paying for it?

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not unless you tell them ;)

Sent from my Droid using DF app

Reaction score
You shouldn't get in trouble, regardless of how many gigabytes of data you chomp through. They can only find out if you tell them, or they physically gain access to your phone.

Reaction score
Wireless Tether Question

Can you rebroadcast a wifi signal, using the wireless tether app? Or can you only use wireless tether to broadcast your 3G signal?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I keep wifi on when I tether so i'm not sure what the results are

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
why would you want to? If there's a wifi signal, then whatever you'd be tethering with could just hook to the existing wifi.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
As far as I'm aware it rebroadcasts your data connection, be it 3G or WiFi, but you'd have to set it up NOT to kill your WiFi connection when you turn it on. However, the range you'd be getting would be paltry compared to a real extender.

Reaction score
Is there just a setting i have to enable in order to prevent it from killing my wifi connection? And why would it be paltry in comparison to a real extender?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Broadcast power. Extenders broadcast in the watt range, some of them (depending) up to 4 watts; the D2 would only broadcast in the sub-watt range; I really can't see it broadcasting more than a watt due to battery concerns. Someone please correct me and back it up if this is not the case. :)

Settings:

Open WiFi tethering app from my signature (I don't know if the one in the market is up to date enough), hit the menu button, at the bottom of the screen (in portrait mode) should be "Don't disable WiFi"

AngryMob

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your help, I am now streaming wireless to my laptop :)