Win10 major update April 30

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Microsoft will be updating your windows 10 starting monday. might want to start backing up any files you cannot afford to lose "just in case". You never know how these major updates will affect your computer. One thing for sure, you better check your privacy settings, they tend to get change and new settings added with updates.

With Windows 10, we've focused on delivering the most modern and most secure operating system. Since its initial launch, we delivered two updates with features designed to enable the creator in each of us. With our latest major release – the Windows 10 April 2018 Update - we want to give you back some of your greatest currency, your time. Our hope is that you'll have more time to do what matters most to you – create, play, work or simply do what you love.

Microsoft says Windows 10 'April 2018 Update' is coming April 30

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
All they do is cram more crap down our throats that 90% of the people just don't care about. It's all about being sneakier culling our info.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing there's no law that keeps them from reverting privacy settings. Surely there's a class action somewhere in there.

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I'm guessing there's no law that keeps them from reverting privacy settings. Surely there's a class action somewhere in there.

It is to the point privacy settings is worthless. by the time you opt out, they already got the information they wanted anyway. the last time I looked at the privacy settings in windows, it was a mess and so many were duplicates, just worded differently.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, the do the old switcheroo all the time. Yes means no then yes means yes. Why can't they be required to put it in simple terms everytime. "Do you mind us collecting your personal preference whilst you browse the web? YES/NO. Easy peasy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
What's problematic with MS doing this, is we all paid for a Windows license. I can't not use Windows because of my job, so do they have a right to collect my data for a product I had no choice but to pay for? Google and Facebook are free, so I do think there's consideration given for that data.

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
What's problematic with MS doing this, is we all paid for a Windows license. I can't not use Windows because of my job, so do they have a right to collect my data for a product I had no choice but to pay for? Google and Facebook are free, so I do think there's consideration given for that data.

a lot of the data collecting begun with win10. they could be claiming they need it in exchange for the free updates and upgrades you received. in my book, it is all a scam. It is a good thing the data collecting begun late in my life. I would hate for them to know some of the things I did in the 70's and 80's :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
a lot of the data collecting begun with win10. they could be claiming they need it in exchange for the free updates and upgrades you received.

True, but I'd argue those services have always been included in the license. I'm sure giving the free upgrade to everyone factored into all that. But when I bought my new PC, it came with Win10 already installed.

Might be time to throw linux on my personal computer, and then use the other strictly for business. But you know it's almost impossible NOT to use you work laptop for personal.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Any pc geeks over here?

Here is my dilemma. I have windows 10 pc on 32gb drive. I can't install the previous HUGE update due to low space. I think that drive has only 12gb free.

What is the easiest way to install update without swapping drive, it's emmc pain in the behind.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Never asked me just gave me update failed screen due to lack of space.

What I did was open services app from windows search and find windows update. Stop that service. Then go to c:/windows and delete softwaredistribution folder which contained all previous updates files. Then go back to services and resume windows update service. That freed up over 10gb of space by deleting almost 200k files.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
typical Microsoft bs.....got the update and now my trackpad scrolling doesn't work and my chrome shortcuts don't work. That's just what I've observed so far.

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
typical Microsoft bs.....got the update and now my trackpad scrolling doesn't work and my chrome shortcuts don't work. That's just what I've observed so far.

I hate it when that happens. hopefully you can get things working again. sometimes just reinstalling the driver and recreating the shortcuts will help.