Will Android ever make use of the GPU's...

hijackerjack

Reaction score
That are present in some devices? Sorry if I sound ranty lol. I'm not trying to. I was just curious because I think the i*hone uses it I believe to increase performance.. just wonderin when us cool kids'll get it lol

Not sure if this is true, but I read that Gingerbread is supposed to make use of GPU acceleration. Is this correct?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

deputc26

Reaction score
Android does make use of the GPU but not to accelerate the home app, which it should but it does not, that's why iPhone and WP7 have smoother home apps.

OP
H

hijackerjack

Reaction score
Android does make use of the GPU but not to accelerate the home app, which it should but it does not, that's why iPhone and WP7 have smoother home apps.

Yeah lol. That's basically what I meant haha.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
gingerbread has gpu acceleration for UI interactions like the home apps. its just probably not working correctly yet

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Why should it? Low-end devices don't have GPUs so that means they can't take advantage of newer OSes, which Google has gone out of its way to make possible with the builds so far. :)

I still shudder to think that I need a HUGE graphics card just to load up the OS on my PC before I even get to playing games. That's just nuts.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
gingerbread probably wont ever run on devices like the g1 or any device without a gpu. unless people remove all those extra's like the glow when scrolling. even if they did remove it why would someone want gingerbread on their device ? the really big difference that the user will notice is that gingerbread is better when it comes to games.

E2K

Reaction score
Gingerbread won't use it. I have been waiting for gpu accelerated interface from September 2009.

OP
H

hijackerjack

Reaction score
gingerbread has gpu acceleration for UI interactions like the home apps. its just probably not working correctly yet

Thats what I was thinking.. I'm pretty sure Froyo doesn't have it so that's why I was wondering.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
yes gingerbread has it... its in the API differences on android developers page.

E2K

Reaction score
yes gingerbread has it... its in the API differences on android developers page.

so gingerbread has it, why doesn't your rom use it? ;)
or was that just wishful thinking on your part?

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
dont hold me to it but im almost positive it has it... but it could be because we're still running on the froyo kernel.

E2K

Reaction score
dont hold me to it but im almost positive it has it... but it could be because we're still running on the froyo kernel.

sorry for my tone but 'promises' were what got me into android (back in 2009 i traded my iphone 3g for an htc hero, worst decision of my life).
but i respect your hard work on the roms, also because the day will come that Motorola will say: "the droid 1 is not worthy/ capable of android 2.3/2.4/2.5/3.0" because I know that you will be here, proving Motorola wrong. :blackdroid:

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
its not that it cant run it... its just it costs money to get gingerbread running on our device and they aren't making anymore money off our device so why spend money on it