Will 2.2 allow rooting?

thinkmega

Reaction score
Mine is a 2.1 stock, assuming VZ will do the OTA update next Tuesday, do you think the official 2.2 release will prevent people getting root?

Because if rooting in 2.2 is not possible, I probably should do it before OTA takes place. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There will always be a way to gain root back. Using the .sbf file you can revert as far back as 2.0.1 if you wanted to.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sort of a misnomer. I wouldnt say that any phone "allows" rooting intentionally. Rooting is simply exploiting a deficiency in the code. Will VZW build in root access, no way.

So for the real question, will someone find a deficiency in the code which will enable them to root? Of this I am certain. It's just a matter of time.

Fault

Reaction score
Didn't realize the ota was so soon. I'm hacking two peoples phones, need to do it soon I guess

Sent from my 'Simply Stunning' Droid using Tapatalk

OP
T

thinkmega

Reaction score
Sort of a misnomer. I wouldnt say that any phone "allows" rooting intentionally. Rooting is simply exploiting a deficiency in the code. Will VZW build in root access, no way.

So for the real question, will someone find a deficiency in the code which will enable them to root? Of this I am certain. It's just a matter of time.

When VZ introduces iPhone next year, I am afraid they could play tough with google phones... if they know how to plug the holes, I think they would do it.

That's my concern.

erikfig

Reaction score
Guys...

There's no need to press the Panic button :) As long as you have RSD and the sbf files, you can do whatever you want with your droid... ;)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

When VZ introduces iPhone next year, I am afraid they could play tough with google phones... if they know how to plug the holes, I think they would do it.

That's my concern.
Only reason VZ would lock down Android phones would be because of pressure from Apple. The 'open-ness' of Android is what's keeping them flying off the shelves.