wifi vs 3g

dmisc

Reaction score
I would like to know this as well. It always seems that 3g is bit faster than my wifi at home.

ChalmersP

Reaction score
WiFi should be 2 or 3 times faster than 3G... What kind of signal are you getting from both WiFi and 3G?

demnogis

Reaction score
Having wifi issues as well. Feels like I'm on dialup on 802.11b/g, but the 3G is fast. Usually get "page could not be displayed" errors when on wifi.

I just use the 3G for web anyhow, all is well.

davewave918

Reaction score
well i figured it would be fun and interesting to run a web based "speed test" from the motodroid browser, but they are all flash based.

i have not tested wifi yet so cant comment on that speed, but yeah it should be faster.

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Hmmm that is odd, I use the WiFi at home and work and it is quite fast...fast IMO than the 3G.

With that said, I am sorry I just have to hand it to whoever was in charge of the browser speeds on this phone cause it is about 4 times quicker than my Storm when browsing the internet using 3G.

ericwiz

Reaction score
I get better speed from wifi for sure but 3g is better than I thought it would be.

Those of you who have slow wifi speeds, what kind of connection are you getting? If you move closer to your router is it better?

Reception is pretty important speed-wise

Smuuth

Reaction score
well i figured it would be fun and interesting to run a web based "speed test" from the motodroid browser, but they are all flash based.

i have not tested wifi yet so cant comment on that speed, but yeah it should be faster.

There is an app in the market called Speedtest. It's made for the Droid.

4twm5l.jpg
rhpetg.jpg

Last edited:

davewave918

Reaction score
smuuth, thanks so much for the info on that app. i should have searched harder, but its one of my weaknesses :) downloading now.

Tekmazter

Reaction score
Rev A of 3G is faster than some DSL provider speeds. It would be funny if it were this. What type of access to you have to the internet from your house?

My cable company (COMCAST) has me on an 8Mb link. DSL is WAY slower than this.

Do a home network test if you can. Try to hit some stuff in your house and see how fast that is.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
wifi should be twice as fast as 3g, if not more. Check your router settings to make sure you didn't change anything.

DroidFan

Reaction score
My WiFi is noticeably faster than 3G... when doing a lot of browsing, I'll switch over to WiFi every time.

Tekmazter

Reaction score
wifi should be twice as fast as 3g, if not more. Check your router settings to make sure you didn't change anything.

WiFi is not his internet connection. WiFi is his HOME network connection. If the person has DSL to access the internet, he very well could be on a slower internet connection than his 3G.

brando56894

Reaction score
Its impossible to have both enabled at the same time, and for future reference please dont dig up topics that are 9 months old ;-)