WiFi Scanning

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Not sure if this is really the right place but I believe it might have something to do with Kangerade as it didn't happen before hand..

My phone in constantly turning on WifI and scanning. I don't want it to. I have 2 apps that I know of that can turn on/off wifi, locale and power manager. Locale is set to turn wifi on only when I am in my home. Power manager has all profiles set to "no change"

Anyone have any ideas? I noticed it after kangerade 1.1 upgrade and trying out chrome 2 phone. Does that have something to do with it? I go to manually turn it off and it turns right back on until its done doing whatever its doing?

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Now it actually looks like turning my phone on from sleep is whats activating wifi. is that normal?

Taegost

Reaction score
Are you using Juice Defender? I think the default setting for that is to disable wifi during sleep and turn it back on when it comes out

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Are you using Juice Defender? I think the default setting for that is to disable wifi during sleep and turn it back on when it comes out

Nope, don't have that one.

roll3r

Reaction score
It's been a problem with me also on every Froyo ROM except the original leaked versions (after applying P3Droid's kernels). JRummy's was working fine for a few days, then I started getting the same problem. At first it seemed to connect to my work wifi just fine, but nowhere else. Flashed BB, didn't work anywhere. Reflashed JRummy, now it works about 10% of the time. And yes, I wiped data, etc etc. I also have a few apps like Locale that can control wifi, but I was having this problem after a fresh install as well.

roll3r

Reaction score
I changed the wifi scanning interval in build.prop back to the Google-provided default (15) and now have wifi for the first time today! Let's see if this keeps up.

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I changed the wifi scanning interval in build.prop back to the Google-provided default (15) and now have wifi for the first time today! Let's see if this keeps up.

How do you do that?

roll3r

Reaction score

How do you do that?

If you have Root Explorer, open up /system/build.prop. You'll see a line that says wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 90. Change 90 to 15, save and reboot. If you don't have Root Explorer, let me know and I'll list the adb commands. Or just buy Root Explorer!

So far this change *seems* to have worked. I'll let it go for a day, and then, assuming everything's still good, I'll try some longer intervals.

I'm not sure why this would fix the issue we're having, because my understanding is that this just adjusts the interval that Android scans for remembered APs when none are in range (and setting a longer interval theoretically saves battery, if you always have wifi turned on), but I've definitely had the best wifi connection in days!

roll3r

Reaction score
Well, no luck. Back to the same problem. At least now that source is out and Koush has something going (which I booted, then went back to JRummy for the time being) there's light at the end of the tunnel.

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I discovered last night that my wifi has stopped working all together. Its not that big of a deal as I only use it when at home and when at home I've got 3 computers to use instead of the droid but its nice to have.

I'll check out this root explorer as I don't know how to use the sdk/adb stuff (I downloaded it but have not figgered any of it out yet)

roll3r

Reaction score
I've made another discovery:

This all has something to do with /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf. I'm just not exactly sure what it is yet...

Last night I wiped and resinstalled the original Froyo leak, which I had pretty good wifi with. I connected to my access point successfully, and copied /data/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf to my sdcard.

I then restored my JRummy backup, with which I could not connect to wifi at all. I copied wpa_supplicant.conf from my sdcard back to the /data path, and wifi came right up! Copied the "bad" one back to /data/misc/wifi, and wifi stopped again...

I then compared the non-working wpa_supplicant.conf with the one that did. I could find ZERO differences. Permissions, group, owner were all the same. The data within the files were the same. Copied them to my PC and opened with Notepad+. I still could not see any difference between the two files.

I then took the good file, deleted everything within it, and wifi came right up. Tried the same thing with the bad file... no wifi. Keep in mind I was replacing these files in recovery so as to not interfere with anything else.

So, to sum it up, I now have working wifi, but have no idea why. It's been stable since last night with multiple APs. These files appear to be identical in every way, but obviously are not.

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I think JRummy might be interested in this info.

Not sure what mine is doing, or if its related. I had flashed a couple different roms yesterday and last night and noticed that back to my original 2.1 root image, wifi good. Fresh install of Kangerade 1.1 after wipes and no wifi.

roll3r

Reaction score

Not sure what mine is doing, or if its related. I had flashed a couple different roms yesterday and last night and noticed that back to my original 2.1 root image, wifi good. Fresh install of Kangerade 1.1 after wipes and no wifi.

Let's see if you can replicate my solution:

Try installing FRF57, see if you can connect to wifi. If so, grab /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf, restore your Kangerade backup, and copy wpa_supplicant.conf back. I'd still suggest you get root explorer, but the adb commands would be:

adb shell
su
cp /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf /sdcard/wpa_supplicant.conf
exit

Restore your backup, and then reboot to recovery (I'm assuming Clockworkmod recovery for this part).

Select "Partition Menu" and select "mount /data" and "mount /sdcard"

adb shell
su
cp /sdcard/wpa_supplicant.conf /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
chmod 666 /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
chown system wpa_supplicant.conf
chgrp wifi wpa_supplicant.conf
exit
adb reboot

Test out wifi!

Let me know how it works.

EDIT: made a couple changes to ADB commands (chown and chgrp)

Last edited:
OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score

Let's see if you can replicate my solution:

Try installing FRF57, see if you can connect to wifi. If so, grab /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf, restore your Kangerade backup, and copy wpa_supplicant.conf back. I'd still suggest you get root explorer, but the adb commands would be:

adb shell
su
cp /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf /sdcard/wpa_supplicant.conf
exit

Restore your backup, and then reboot to recovery (I'm assuming Clockworkmod recovery for this part).

Select "Partition Menu" and select "mount /data" and "mount /sdcard"

adb shell
su
cp /sdcard/wpa_supplicant.conf /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
chmod 666 /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
exit
adb reboot

Test out wifi!

Let me know how it works.

I did get root explorer but no access to wifi where I am so I'll have to give it a go later.

Last edited:

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I am on vacation in the Domincan Republic and I am running the latest JRummy Froyo rom and I am having the same issue with my Wifi always scanning. I just thought is was the resorts cheap wifi service. It is interesting to see that other people may be having the same problem.

When I got here my wifi just kept saying it was scanning. Then I went back to my stock nandroid back up and reloaded Kangrade with a different kernel and I was able to get service, but it constantly jumps from connected to scanning. I will make the neccessary adjustments when I get back to the states in a few days.