WIFI Keeps Turning Itself On

ssif21

Reaction score
I've had a Droid 2 for less than a week. My problem is that WIFI keeps turning itself on. This, of course, kills my battery, particularly when I'm moving around and it searches for networks.

In settings/wireless and network I have wi-fit unchecked. But when I watch the WIFI widget, it will come on and off. So something is periodically turning on WIFI, searching, then turning it off. But I don't know what it is.

Any ideas? Thanks.

fang

Reaction score
Having same issue

turning off WiFi manually when it auto loads, but then wifi auto starts..... can't find any setting to keep wifi from auto starting when wifi is available. Any help here?

AVanover5

Reaction score
What launcher are you using? For now, try using airplane mode when you want it off from wireless settings. If it still turns on (or if it doesn't, in fact), let us know.

Last edited:

fang

Reaction score
airplane mode and wifi

airplane mode shuts off phone...... the problem seems to be if it is in range of a previously setup network it auto starts wifi whether I want to use wifi or not. Turning off wifi after it auto starts is futile, just restarts by itself and uses battery power. If I go into "wifi settings" and "forget" my home network then I can turn off wifi and it stays off. This causes me to have to re-login to the network with password every time I do wish to use the wifi. Sounds like maybe this is another "idiot-proof" function by Motorola?... or should I throw my phone in the pond? (return to VZW)

AVanover5

Reaction score
If you have a network remembered then it will autoconnect if you have wifi enabled (Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi). Airplane mode is supposed to disable all wireless connections (including 3G) but it certainly shouldn't turn off the phone. Perhaps clearly the cache and data for the Network activity will help.