Wifi Help

drjoek

Reaction score
Hi New user with a question

I have a Motorola Droid and I am able to use the WiFi without a problem EXCEPT on my home network.
I enable Wifi at Home
Get a nice strong signal
obtain an IP address
But
It cant seem to load any web page.

I know the network is fine since my kids use their laptops wirelessly. I know the Wifi is fine since I have used WIFi away from home. The webpages load fine at home on 3G
Any suggestions on a fix or what I may be doing wrong?

G

gatewayad

Try an app in market called Y5, it stores previously used wifi networks you have established and automatically turns them on when in range. I had that issue too, I would be at home and for some reason it kept turning my wifi off, after i installed Y5 I didnt have any more issues.

OP
D

drjoek

Reaction score
Try an app in market called Y5, it stores previously used wifi networks you have established and automatically turns them on when in range. I had that issue too, I would be at home and for some reason it kept turning my wifi off, after i installed Y5 I didnt have any more issues.

WiFi Finder stores previously used networks too
My WiFi stays on with a strong signal, just cant load pages at home

huskur

Reaction score
This problem is usually solved by a reboot of the router. Give that a try before you do anything. I had the same situation

ceweale

Reaction score
There is also a thread with over 60 pages on the motorola support website with people having wifi issues. Mine won't connect at home or at work but works fine at my parents house. In my opinion motorola / google have issues that they haven't solved in regards to wifi.

Magdroid

Reaction score
Do you have MAC Address filtering enabled on your home network?

Thats a question above my pay grade:laugh:
How might I check that?

Well, you want to find out the MAC Address of your phone.
Which can be found by:
Opening your App Drawer -> Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Wi-Fi Settings:
When your in your Wi-Fi Menu, hit your Droid Menu button. Then click on Advanced.
Copy down that MAC address.

Then Google Search
"Mac Address Filtering (name of Router)" or "How to add my MAC Address to (name of Router)"

Magdroid

Reaction score
There is also a thread with over 60 pages on the motorola support website with people having wifi issues. Mine won't connect at home or at work but works fine at my parents house. In my opinion motorola / google have issues that they haven't solved in regards to wifi.

A lot of those people may just not have experience with getting their Phone set to their router. Everything isn't Plug and Play. Especially if you get the cheapo routers. It's probably more human error than actual Droid Error.

ceweale

Reaction score

A lot of those people may just not have experience with getting their Phone set to their router. Everything isn't Plug and Play. Especially if you get the cheapo routers. It's probably more human error than actual Droid Error.

I wish that was the case but unfortunately it is not. Setting my home router to open with absolutely no security (no mac filtering either) and my droid would obtain an IP address but would not transfer data. Both the router and the phone indicated it had a valid IP address assigned to it but it would not transfer data. Alternatively, it connects fine at my parents house.

If you read through that thread there is speculation that the droid is malforming some of the header information and some routers can't handle it - above my head. All I know is that my droid could not connect to my home router no matter what I set things to. Decided that I really didn't care because 3G works so well and the unlimited data plan. In fact I just replaced that router and haven't even tried connecting my droid to the new one yet.

huskur

Reaction score

I wish that was the case but unfortunately it is not. Setting my home router to open with absolutely no security (no mac filtering either) and my droid would obtain an IP address but would not transfer data. Both the router and the phone indicated it had a valid IP address assigned to it but it would not transfer data. Alternatively, it connects fine at my parents house.

If you read through that thread there is speculation that the droid is malforming some of the header information and some routers can't handle it - above my head. All I know is that my droid could not connect to my home router no matter what I set things to. Decided that I really didn't care because 3G works so well and the unlimited data plan. In fact I just replaced that router and haven't even tried connecting my droid to the new one yet.

what brand of router? also keep in mind that the droid is only b and g band compatible. So if you are running exclusively "n" you will not connect but still see the router with the droid. All "n" routers have the option to transmit in all 3 bands at the same time. You will need to access the router web utility page and find it under "wireless settings". I am more than certain that many have this issue. A phone of this magnitude though should have "n" capabilities. Don't know what motorola was thinking when they put the wireless card in the droid.

JCo352

Reaction score
When i got my droid I had problems with picking up wifi at home, it wouldn't even give me a signal and i know the router wasn't at fault because my laptop picked it up. But I just kept trying and trying and trying etc etc and FINALLY it worked and has worked ever since with no problems

ceweale

Reaction score
what brand of router? also keep in mind that the droid is only b and g band compatible. So if you are running exclusively "n" you will not connect but still see the router with the droid. All "n" routers have the option to transmit in all 3 bands at the same time. You will need to access the router web utility page and find it under "wireless settings". I am more than certain that many have this issue. A phone of this magnitude though should have "n" capabilities. Don't know what motorola was thinking when they put the wireless card in the droid.

It was an older gigabyte router, b and g only. Just replaced it with a dual band netgear router but haven't tried the droid on it yet (wanted n for the laptop). Not sure what the router at work is but I do know it is set up to allow b/g traffic. Again my droid connects, is assigned an IP address but will not load web pages (just tried it again now).

mrapollinax

Reaction score
do you get an error message when attempting to load the page? if so what is the error?

OP
D

drjoek

Reaction score
UPDATE

Rebooting the router as suggested fixed the problem. Nothing needed to be done to Droid or network

Thanks for help