wi-fi sleep policy

izzysmom

Reaction score
I'm confused over the wi-fi sleep policy in advanced settings.

"When screen truns off" - means that every time the screen goes black - it not only puts the screen to sleep - it also knocks me off wifi - I'm thinking that would be kind of a pain since I have my screen set to sleep at 30 seconds to save battery - but someimes I'm "idle" for that long if I'm reading a web page....

I get what NEVER means - as in always on -- and then is that safe to assume that when the screen goes dark...wi-fi is still connected and ready for use (assuming that I"m within a signal range) -- I also assume that setting would mean that if I am out of range...my phone is constantly searching for a viable signal - even when phone is "dark".

But what EXACTLY does NEVER WHEN PLUGGED IN mean? Do they mean "plugged in" as in connected to a wifi hotspot? Or as in the phone is physically plugged in to either a USB or charger? (As in it's asleep unless it's physically plugged in?) Cuz that doesnt sound very convient either...

compywiz

Reaction score
The way I read it, never when plugged in means to never shut off the wifi when it's plugged into power. This setting is useful because Wifi can be a power drain, but this doesn't matter when it's plugged into a power source. This is why it's convenient. I also see it as if you have it plugged in, the chances are that you are at a place where you have wifi. Ex, I charge at home where I also have Wifi, so it makes sense to use it in this situation as well.

Personally I just leave it at never and just turn on and off wifi when I need it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The way I read it, never when plugged in means to never shut off the wifi when it's plugged into power.
^This. You don't plug into WiFi except in the metaphorical sense since it's, by definition, wireless. ;)

OP
I

izzysmom

Reaction score
The way I read it, never when plugged in means to never shut off the wifi when it's plugged into power.
^This. You don't plug into WiFi except in the metaphorical sense since it's, by definition, wireless. ;)

That's exactly why I dont quite understand what they meant by PLUGGED IN...since wi-fi is ... WIreless....

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I may be dumb or just not seeing it, but where are you seeing wifi advanced settings? How are you able to set your wifi to "sleep"? I'm not seeing this option, but then again, I may be looking in the wrong place.

OP
I

izzysmom

Reaction score
I may be dumb or just not seeing it, but where are you seeing wifi advanced settings? How are you able to set your wifi to "sleep"? I'm not seeing this option, but then again, I may be looking in the wrong place.
No problem - took me a while to find it...

Menu key> Settings> Wireless & Networks > WiFi Settings > then MENU KEY > Then advanced > Wi Fi Sleep Policy :heart:

NickDegand

Reaction score
jesus christ

jesus christ people all phones are different, and the wifi sleep policy is an old option, now it just has a setting keep wifi on when sleep with always, never, and when plugged in. (plugged in and charging the battery)

old setting (wifi sleep policy):

never: wifi always stays on no matter what when near service but when not it sets on standby and switches to 3g
when screen turns off, same thing but when screen is off it uses 3g
plugged in: when plugged in charging wifi is always on as the "never option", when not plugged in it uses "when screen turns off" setting

-new: "keep wifi on when sleep"
always=never (from wifi sleep policy)
plugged in=plugged in (from wifi sleep policy)
never=when screen turns off (from wifi sleep policy)