why?

JMody

Reaction score
So now we know who starts the end of the world. Mills and his Droid that becomes SkyNet........

Thanks Mills.

OP
leetbumble

leetbumble

Reaction score
When I found out I can install gnash after I get access to the core and the c libs... I became a rooter as well...

AcidBurn

Reaction score
So, the Droid has comprable hardware to the iPhone, right? So why arent there apps that are media rich and all around badass like iPhone? Is it because this is the first android device that could support such apps, and that there isn't enough app memory to facilitate like app of the iPhone? Also rooting the Droid would allow things like app2sd, which means that these bigger and meaner apps can begin to be written?

OP
leetbumble

leetbumble

Reaction score
The past Android devices held back the development of apps but that will change now that droid is out. Given time the Android market place will make iphone app store look like a yardsale in the middle of idaho. no one around but the apple fan boys and nothing you cant get somewhere else in better quality.

and my understanding is that the hardware in the droid is greater than that of iphone not to mention the better network.

attributor

Reaction score
Rooted or not - I find it extremely annoying that you cannot add fonts to the /system/fonts or elsewhere to be available to all apps - especially since the default fonts don't have full unicode range character support - most notably they are lacking Hebrew and Arabic.

Another unrelated issue - there is no way to disable switching to the Clock/Cradle mode when in proximity of a magnet.
My holster has a magnet in it and in most cases it makes the droid keep the display on in the Clock mode - draining the battery in less than 6 hours.

gtjokester

Reaction score
So, the Droid has comprable hardware to the iPhone, right? So why arent there apps that are media rich and all around badass like iPhone? Is it because this is the first android device that could support such apps, and that there isn't enough app memory to facilitate like app of the iPhone? Also rooting the Droid would allow things like app2sd, which means that these bigger and meaner apps can begin to be written?
Well think about it, how long has the iPhone been around? How do you think the iPhone's apps that were out when the iPhone was just reaching a year old would compare to the apps that are out today? Android has only been out about a year, and in that year there have been like 4 official updates to the OS giving more and more functionality and lots more still on the way. Weather we like it or not apps take time to develop. we just have to be patient.. the apps will come, in the mean time try out apps and give developers feedback and ideas for them to make them better.. use the email developer link in the market cause comments don't work every well for feedback for them cause they can't respond to you.. Android is about community development so join the community and help make android the envy of every iphone user out there.. with the droid we finnally got them on the hardware, now we just need to get the software developed.. But android has come a long way in a year since its release and we don't really have much more to go to put the iphone to shame.. Open source will mean development is much faster due to many more people working on it including the community of users..

mitchell

Reaction score
I'm very excited about some 3rd party apps that I know Verizon will not put in their Market. So I really hope rooting the Droid comes soon. I am actually surprised that its been out almost a week and it's still not been rooted.

gtjokester

Reaction score
I'm very excited about some 3rd party apps that I know Verizon will not put in their Market. So I really hope rooting the Droid comes soon. I am actually surprised that its been out almost a week and it's still not been rooted.
Well it took about a month to root the hero so it shouldn't be that suprising.. but I think the droid is much more popular so we should get it faster then that I would guess.

darthdroid

Reaction score
Fonts!

Lack of fonts - i can not understand why google/motorola did not :

A - pre-installed more fonts on this device
B - let you download and install what ever fonts you want

I am referring to fonts for languages besides english, its a big world out there, you know..

So i can't say i WANT to root my phone, but it seems that it is the only way to install more fonts :(

fone sex

Reaction score
Besides possibly bricking, what are the cons of rooting your phone?

mekishiko

Reaction score
WIFI Teather
App2SD
SetCPU
Fonts
Utilizing other Android Builds with the new hardware would be fun as well.

and as others stated, not having to rely on motorola's system updates.

and for the guy that asked what are some of the cons, they are going to be almost the same as with modifying any piece of hardware, if you use google you can find some Pro's/CONS to overclocking, rooting HTC phones, or other hardware devices. Generally the cons are going to be the same.

You phone might not work if you don't do it correctly - that's the "I don't-want-to-use-google" version.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
I think the biggest con is the possbility of a brick and decreased security.

Having root access is excellent for the person knowing what he is doing, but it makes it easier to screw your phone up or allow another app to take advantage of root access to break into your phone.

There was a recent article about an "iphone virus" that changed your phone's background image when infected. Supposedly it does not do any real harm, and was created to let people know of the vulnurability.

It's a double-edged blade. It gives you more freedom, but it gives hackers more freedom as well (which could be used to exploit your phone in an undesirable way).

Keep in mind that the DROID is my first smartphone, and I'm very new to smartphone hacking in general, but I'm fairly confident in what I have just wrote.

Wrenbjor

Reaction score
there are quite a few reasons why I want to root my device. Im not going to go into detail but ill just lay them out:

apt-get
wget
sudo
git
yum
ssh
telnet
htop
vim

not to mention the additional applications that could be installed once you have access to the sudo command (which is technically a root access command, its sorta redundant the way i use it here)

install apache
install nx
install kde / gnome / flux / xfce

oh the joys of it will be endless

Hold the phone (pun)... apt-get is for debian distros and yum is for red hat distros and they do the same thing!!!! :icon_ banana:

Mills00013

Reaction score
there are quite a few reasons why I want to root my device. Im not going to go into detail but ill just lay them out:

apt-get
wget
sudo
git
yum
ssh
telnet
htop
vim

not to mention the additional applications that could be installed once you have access to the sudo command (which is technically a root access command, its sorta redundant the way i use it here)

install apache
install nx
install kde / gnome / flux / xfce

oh the joys of it will be endless

Hold the phone (pun)... apt-get is for debian distros and yum is for red hat distros and they do the same thing!!!! :icon_ banana:

thats true! they are on two separate distros and do very similar things, but the repositories are different. I have both running on my centos 5.3 server right now, and i use them both for separate things.

D

DroidMastar

But I if the point of gaining root is to install an app I am curious what apps you cant install. And in time google will bring an update to have apps on the SD card so what other wicked awesome app is there?

For the record there are plenty of interesting applications of technology that are against the licence and violate certain rules and policies of a republic we know. But are also wicked cool. So if needs be I will also be among those using MY phone as I see fit.

Has google said they will be opening it up at some point so that apps can be added to the SD???