why?

leetbumble

Reaction score
Is there really anything you could think of doing that you cant do on a standard Droid? It is not like the Iphone where you can take your little toy and go play in a different sandbox(alt carrier). I mean if you want to make it into a WWII fighter plane I could see you needing root but beyond that... anyone?

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
Is there really anything you could think of doing that you cant do on a standard Droid? It is not like the Iphone where you can take your little toy and go play in a different sandbox(alt carrier). I mean if you want to make it into a WWII fighter plane I could see you needing root but beyond that... anyone?

Until Android/Google open it up to allow apps on the SD card, I can understand why some might want to have the phone rooted with hacks like App2Sd out there.

Some others just like playing and tweaking. It is the reason that people overclock their computer too. They are always trying to get something just a little bit better.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
never added a performance part to a car?

OP
leetbumble

leetbumble

Reaction score
But I if the point of gaining root is to install an app I am curious what apps you cant install. And in time google will bring an update to have apps on the SD card so what other wicked awesome app is there?

For the record there are plenty of interesting applications of technology that are against the licence and violate certain rules and policies of a republic we know. But are also wicked cool. So if needs be I will also be among those using MY phone as I see fit.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
FWIW I can't see kmyself rooting my device, but some will. My biggest complaint about the storm is having to look and find the best OS possible. hybrid, leak or whatever. I just want it to work from the start

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah i doubt I will root my device unless there just is something i REALLY want that they won't put out.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ubernewb here; I thought the whole point of open source development which is one of the huge selling points of Android is that this type of hacking wouldn't be necessary. What are you prevented from doing app/widget/program-wise that makes this necessary? :confused:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
rooting a device isnt for everyone but for those that want to take a good device and add more featues and usability ..... basically theres a chance to make that good device GREAT. It does come with its risks you can BRICK a device making it completely un-usable. This is why i wouldnt try and root my phone until there is a good restore program to bring the phone back to OEM.

Mills00013

Reaction score
there are quite a few reasons why I want to root my device. Im not going to go into detail but ill just lay them out:

apt-get
wget
sudo
git
yum
ssh
telnet
htop
vim

not to mention the additional applications that could be installed once you have access to the sudo command (which is technically a root access command, its sorta redundant the way i use it here)

install apache
install nx
install kde / gnome / flux / xfce

oh the joys of it will be endless

OP
leetbumble

leetbumble

Reaction score
there are quite a few reasons why I want to root my device. Im not going to go into detail but ill just lay them out:

apt-get
wget
sudo
git
yum
ssh
telnet
htop
vim

not to mention the additional applications that could be installed once you have access to the sudo command (which is technically a root access command, its sorta redundant the way i use it here)

install apache
install nx
install kde / gnome / flux / xfce

oh the joys of it will be endless

I fully support the "i paid for the device so I'll use it as i see fit" idea... but you plan to put apache on your mobile device? bold play... droid + the list above = first generation Skynet! LETS DO THIS!

Quickster357

Reaction score
If the droid is rooted the only reason I would root it is to put SenseUI on there when it's updated to Eclair. Oh and not to mention cooked ROMs from Cyanogen to make things faster and slicker. ;D

nnn

Reaction score
Safeguard against Verizon in the future

The key reason to get root is to be sure you can continue upgrading and maintaining the software on your device (Droid) even if Verizon decides they're not interested in publishing further OTA updates.

BSmith

Reaction score
I think this phone targeted a lot of the "Can't leave well enough alone" crowd.

I know I'm not the only one.

limaxray

Reaction score
My main reason for wanting to root it is so I can install the tun driver required by OpenVPN. That, and I just don't know what it's like to own a Linux machine that I don't have root to.

For the most part though, I can live and be quite happy without having to hack this phone - unlike my WiMo phone that was completely unusable until it was hacked with a custom ROM. Man, I hate WiMo.