Why no viewfinder on smartphones?

debussymuir

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
There appears to be no phone or accessory that provides a viewfinder for a smartphone. It must be a universal experience that the rear monitor is almost unusable in sun. I do a lot of mountain hiking and many of my photos are taken without me even being able to see what the camera is pointing at.

Is there such an accessory? If not, could someone give me an idea why there isn't? Sure seems odd, given the engineering magic that is put into smartphones, that not one offers a viewfinder. I have a Galaxy S6. Thanks much. Don

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
this is one of those disadvantages of using the smartphone camera. I found if you turn the brightness on the phone as bright as it can be, you can see it in the sun. still not the greatest view but...

OP
D

debussymuir

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
Thanks, me just sayin. But I'm still trying to figure out the answer to this question: Why doesn't Samsung figure out how to include a very basic viewfinder on their phones?

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Thanks, me just sayin. But I'm still trying to figure out the answer to this question: Why doesn't Samsung figure out how to include a very basic viewfinder on their phones?

nobody can answer that but samsung. but think about it, where are you going to put it on the phone? the camera is electronic, don't have lenses. for a viewfinder to work, it will need mirrors not chips in order to have the best view. otherwise, you will have the same problem. some phones will be better than others so that is something you will have to look at when researching a new phone.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I've yet to find a sun condition where I couldn't see the screen great on my Note 8. I think their answer is to make the screens better.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
yea the screens are getting better for using in sunlight. I had some issues in the sun on my note 8 and just brighten it up. uses battery a little faster and it still may be a bit dark but it works.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I just use the shoot it and edit it concept. I have a tendency to take three or four pics of the same subject. Select the best one and crop/edit that one.

wcjeep

Reaction score
My work phone is an S6. The S7 and up is easier to see in bright light.

S6 not easy to see in bright light.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
My work phone is an S6. The S7 and up is easier to see in bright light.

S6 not easy to see in bright light.

the phones are getting better with working in bright sunlight. I remember years ago when you can forget trying to use your phones and tablets outside.

kieseyhow

Reaction score
I am sure such a device exists in Asia somewhere. See if you can find someone who speaks Japanese to search, in Japanese, for you online. There are gadgets over there no one has ever heard of here in the West. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk