Why is Android so confusing to regular people?

novacane

Reaction score
So a guy at my job and I have had an ongoing debate about iphone vs. DROID. Of course while we are discussing this, other people over hear us.

One of our co-workers came out and said that the G1 was way better than the DROID.

Another one bought a mytouch after playing with my droid and loving it. And while he wasn't there my friend i've been debating with said that the mytouch was way better than the droid. And like 3 people agreed.

I told him that it was impossible because the DROID had better hardware/android 2.0.

He came back with, "Your phone is the only android phone, the rest are google phones." (This is when I stopped debating anything with him cause...POINTLESS)

Totally unrelated, someone else I knew bought a mytouch and he said that it was way better than the DROID and that he could do anything mine could. He said my droid was a "wack-ass G1."

Why is android so confusing to the mainstream/average user?

patriot839

Reaction score
Dude the guy that said android phones and google phones is an idiot and it sounds to me that the other people you have talked to don't understand sofware at all so when it comes to the subject of smartphones they are also idiots so I wouldn't group them with the mainstream

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ahh the pointless things lemmings will say.

At that point toss them some popcorn and walk away...

ldimick

Reaction score
The challenge is that people do not understand the difference between a phone and an operating system. Until now they have been tightly linked. If you really want them to have a better clue tell them your phone uses Linux instead of confusing them.

loop4zil

Reaction score
Prior to the Droid the most advanced phone I had was the Rumor. So I had NO idea what I was getting in to when I got the Droid.

My whole cell phone experience was based around the proprietary "OS" that was installed on the phone I had. I was used to being routed down a specific path of how I was going to use the phone...I would guess that most people could say the same. I think that many folks are more comfortable with a controlled user experience.

A Droid or Nexus is a freakishly large step from a 'dumb' phone

So when I got my Droid...I was smart enough recognize that I had a ton of potential in this phone but no know-how to get to it...so I west a searchin' and I found Droid Forum...lucky I guess.

any way...it will be interesting to see what happens to the Android Platform as it matures...will it still be the wild wild west....or will Google attempt to tame it and control the user experience so that 'normal' people will like it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
google is just starting to get in there with the other smartphones as far as polpulari and you have to look that most people still see a phone as a phone and really do nt care about os. I normally do not want to go deep into it with other people so not to sound like a geek. It may be a good time to end the argument about whose phone is better. Even though 99% of the time. Apple fanboy starts it, the phone that is better depends on who is buying it, and what it is used for.

mikes

Reaction score
You may consider yourself to be irregular, but I'm a pretty regular guy, and I'm not confused by the Droid.

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Why is android so confusing to the mainstream/average user?

My wife is a blackberry user who occasionally tries my phone and calls it a nerdy computer phone.
The comment is "tongue n cheek" but i understand her meaning.
Most people don't want to customize their phone- they want it at it's full potential out of box:
an iphone, g1, my touch and blackberry allow that, the droid DOESN'T (to use an odd phrase).

In order to get the full potential out of the droid it takes more work- but the benefits are worth the effort.

jakenovak

Reaction score
Totally unrelated, someone else I knew bought a mytouch and he said that it was way better than the DROID and that he could do anything mine could. He said my droid was a "wack-ass G1."

While he is either mis-informed or ignorant, I can (to a very slight extent) agree that in some cases the mytouch is a better phone than the Droid. HTC does a lot of customization with their Android phones, far beyond what other manufacturers even attempt, in order to provide for a better experience. Granted, most of these come at the expense of battery life and performance ("HTC Clock" widget, for example), nevertheless, they've done a great job at polishing Android.

droidkm

Reaction score
it's just that a lot of people don't care to learn about technology. if it's not enjoyable to them, that's fine. i like technology, find doing things with computers comes easily to me, and so i don't mind messing with stuff like rooting. but some people hate messing with computer stuff, and to them the droid is going to be a hassle. less function is not necessarily worse than more function, if it is easier.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Next time they say the Droid isn't a Google phone, turn it over to show the Google branding. Should end that debate fairly quickly :icon_ devil: