Why I Chose the Droid X: My Journey

Richard.

Reaction score
"DON'T STOP, BELIEVIN', HOLD ON TO THAT FEEEEEELIN'"

Sorry, Journey reference.

Warning, if you are easily offended by observations, then you may want to look away from your computer screen at this point. (+1 for putting a warning in hypothesis form)

Concept:
Once the Droid X gets Froyo, it will be the most superior phone on the market.

----
I came from, believe it or not, a Motorola RAZR. I always loved smartphones but never had a use for one until now - in my last year of high school.

So, before making the investment, I researched EVERY smartphone on the market.

----
Almost immediately, I was able to rule out any phone on T-Mobile or AT&T (Sprint is o.k.), because those networks are trash. I'm not even going to sugar coat it - I have been on both in the past, my family members have been on both in the past, and my friends have been on both networks. Verizon is superior to all of them.

I knew I would want an Android phone, and I knew I would want something top-of-the-line. Something that would not suck hardcore after 2 months.

It came down to a few advanced phones: the EVO 4G, Incredible, and Droid X. I looked up the specs for each one, wrote them down on a poster board, and compared all of them side by side. I went to every review website (I am not easily influenced by nonsense, so bias is ignorable) and watched every review video on each phone. As implied earlier, I have close friends with all 3 phones. One had an Incredible, one had a Droid X, and the other an EVO. I talked to them, and of course each defended his/her respective phone to the death.

----
Ultimately I found the Droid X to have the least drawbacks. It lacks a front-facing camera, and people have complained about the color and size. I have gigantor hands, so the Droid X fits me perfectly. AMOLED is a gimmick, and it worked very well at getting (ignorant) people to buy phones with over-saturated false colors. (T-Mobile now advertises SUPER AMOLED. What?!?! You mean to tell me SUPERMAN MADE THIS SCREEN?) It's a new technology that still needs a lot of work (such as, being able to see the screen when that huge star that occasionally lights up the planet is visible).

• Concerning the front-facing camera, I can deal with it. That might go against all of the "future-proofing" of technology that I like to have, but when I realized how little I would use it, and how pointless it is in actuality, then I knew I would be fine. This is a gimmick, along with '4G' speeds (on a mediocre network).

----
In conclusion, I found the Droid X to be an all-around solid device. Motorola is a Texas based company working with Texas hardware manufacturers, and Android is a Google software based in California. Take what you will out of these facts, but I believe that this allows for a well-rounded and high-quality product.

An Insight:
I remember considering just a few years ago buying a $200 camera/camcorder with worse video quality and a 10Mpx camera. I'm glad I held out for the Droid X. The human eye cannot detect the difference between even a 5Mpx image and 6Mpx image, let alone an 8Mpx and 10Mpx image (of the same camera design/hardware). That difference comes down to whether or not you like to blow up (zoom in on) your pictures a lot. That being said, I'd like to see where phone manufacturers take smartphones (now quasi-officially called "devices") in the coming years. Obviously I can see the software improving (which you can update on your phone) and the processor speed improving (dual-core devices, anyone?). They could take 1080p video, but that doesn't concern me. They could upgrade to 10Mpx cameras, but that also doesn't concern me. Screen size might hover around 4.5" at a maximum.

A Personal Note:
The Droid X is incredibly fast, battery efficient, and good-looking. And that's without Froyo. [video=youtube;ilx_cpGZczM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilx_cpGZczM"]YouTube - Droid X benchmark tests[/video] Yeah, and it has a separate GPU. Which makes it a fantastic device.

Droid X ftw.

A Very Personal Note:
I'm hungry.

Time to eat a pizza.

Richard.

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It is just a phone man you're not choosing your first wife. :icon_ banana:

The best thing about being a phone is if you grow to hate it you can throw it against the wall and go get a new.. better.. prettier one. Plus the old phone won't nag you all the time about missing you, wonder what you and your new phone are doing, how much did your new phone cost, etc...

OP
R

Richard.

Reaction score
It is just a phone man you're not choosing your first wife. :icon_ banana:

The best thing about being a phone is if you grow to hate it you can throw it against the wall and go get a new.. better.. prettier one. Plus the old phone won't nag you all the time about missing you, wonder what you and your new phone are doing, how much did your new phone cost, etc...

Hahaha, Imagine if I were to put my first wife through the same process.

"Well let's see here, your processor might be slow but your UI is fantastic..."dancedroid

Izord

Reaction score
Been there.

I have gone through the wife's G1, my trusty MT3G on T-mo which I still keep in the side pocket of my manpurse. (I can use it on trips to Europe, and Russia which I can't say of my DroidX.) And the EVO.

Poor EVO, how I wanted to love you. And love you I did, except when I couldn't get a 3G, or even 2G signal in the shielded halls of the work-dungeon, Not to mention complete lack of 4G, which Sprint insisted on billing me for, even though it's not even available anywhere in my state. (Even though we have had 4G for over 2 years in Moscow, but that's a different story)

Now the front facing camera.... Too bad. I really wanted to use it. When I was in CapeTown South Africa in 2008, I needed a new phone because for whatever reason I lost my last T-mo phone in the trip so I went to the mall and bought a sweet Nokia GSM tiny candybar 3.5 G with a front-facing camera. This was in Africa over 2 years ago! I wish America would catch up with those third world continents like Africa. Maybe someday, can only wish.

But with the EVO I again had a front Facing Camera!!! If only I had a signal!..

One day I will be in a geographic area with the technology to support 2-way video voice communication like they had in Africa 2 years ago!

But the DroidX comes in as a close second! Hit me Froyo!!!!!

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

DNoMac

Reaction score
Well done Richard. I applaud both your enthusiastic review as well as your choice.