Why dont texts vibrate when phone is set to Vibrate??

l00ney55

Reaction score
OK so when I put my phone to vibrate the only thing that vibrates is the ringer. I was wondering if there was a way to set the tets to vibrate only when the vibrate mode is on because i dont like it on when the sound is on. (i have tried the app called Handcent and it just gave me too many problems to deal with.)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you are using the stock messaging app open the app, tap menu, tap settings, in notifications, select a ringtone of silent and check the vibrate alert. If you use the volume on the side and put all the way down all will vibrate.

Mike

OP
L

l00ney55

Reaction score
i know that but i want my ringtone still. I just wish the texts would vibrate when the phone is set to vibrate instead of going to the messaging app and set it to vibrate itself every single time.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Then the first sentence in my first reply should do it for you.

Mike

OP
L

l00ney55

Reaction score
lol but i dont want it to vibrate when the sound is on. you get me? i want it to vibrate only when the phone is set to vibrate

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got it. When the phone is not on vibrate you want a tone but when you set to vibrate you want just vibrate. Then use the volume button and press down until you see a shaking box in the notification bar. I just used my email and sent myself a txt and all I received was vibration.

Mike

jrawks

Reaction score
you can set the text to vibrate for incoming messages when you have your inbox open hit the button with the lines on it and you can set it for just text messages there to vibrate.

jbsangel

Reaction score
wow none of you are helping.

to answer the question, what you are trying to accomplish can't be done. each app like messaging, calendar, gmail, etc has it's own vibrate and ringtone setting, so when you set the ringer to vibrate using the rocker on the side of the phone, it only sets the ringer and silences everything else. I don't know why it is like this.

i just set the msging to vibrate and deal with the vibrate in addition to the sound. at least that way when i set the ringer to vibrate, the sms still vibrate. i'd rather have that then to have to toggle vibrate for sms everything i also silence the phone ringer.

Slider46

Reaction score
I use Timeriffic (from Market) to control my volume/vibrate settings.

You can set a specific time to have your phone vibrate/ring/silent or calls or notifications or any other combination. It can also control GPS off/on wifi off/on bluetooth off/on. I have a profile that controls Mon-Thurs, one for Friday night, and profiles for Saturday.

I rarely have to change the volume on the phone anymore. It's all automated.