Why do we wipe data and cache three times?

Ecnassianer

Reaction score
Everywhere I see people saying that I need to wipe my data and cache 3 times, but no one ever explains. Why do we need to do it three times? Shouldn't one wipe get ride of everything? And then you're good? What's the deal? Why thrice?

(I searched, but couldn't find the answer.)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everywhere I see people saying that I need to wipe my data and cache 3 times, but no one ever explains. Why do we need to do it three times? Shouldn't one wipe get ride of everything? And then you're good? What's the deal? Why thrice?

(I searched, but couldn't find the answer.)

Because people are OCD?

Absolutely no idea why you would have to do that. I never even wipe. Sometimes that causes me to boot loop and I wipe then, but not unless something like that happens.

SupAll

Reaction score
It is for the same reason you would format a hard drive several times when an issue arises that cannot be fixed otherwise. Doing it once is supposed to get rid of everything, but it isn't guaranteed. Doing three times limits the chances of there being malicious remnants or future conflicts.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing. :icon_ banana:

I don't do it and never have. I only wipe if going to a rom built from a different OS leak (2.1 to 2.2). Otherwise, I never wipe, much less wipe three times.

Mojo

Reaction score
Its so you dont get streaks in your undies...:icon_ banana: And you guys; that is just nasty not to wipe!

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is for the same reason you would format a hard drive several times when an issue arises that cannot be fixed otherwise. Doing it once is supposed to get rid of everything, but it isn't guaranteed. Doing three times limits the chances of there being malicious remnants or future conflicts.

I laugh every time I read these ridiculous discussions.

People do these things because they do not understand how technology works at the hardware level.

smokiedabong

Reaction score

LOL , nice ghetto science .

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I laugh every time I read these ridiculous discussions.

People do these things because they do not understand how technology works at the hardware level.

I have to admit I don't understand how it works with Google. With a Blackberry a wipe was performed with each install. Obviously that doesn't apply here since I did have to go back and wipe twice. Not on the same install, of course.

hedney3

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The answer is actually very simple. one day a while back some very "smart" individual told others to wipe twice before installing something. Because everyone seems think repeating this makes them sound smarter it caught on and since that point in time. Wiping twice was the norm. although wiping is wiping. and doing it once is just as good as doing it ten times. now be careful....this doesnt apply to everything ;)