Why do many video pgms require wifi? Can you "fool it"

jismail

Reaction score
I was trying to watch on TV.com and it kept telling me it was for wifi only.....

Why does the app care? If i am okay with a choppier session, why do they stop it? :mad:

Is there a trick or hack or other way to make a site that is "wifi" only work with broadband?

OP
J

jismail

Reaction score
Nobody has any suggestions on how to use them without having access to a wifi? :icon_eek:

Silver Member
Reaction score
what kind of app? i know that youtube won't allow you to upload large videos unles you're connected wifi.

JamesX

Reaction score
Is there a trick or hack or other way to make a site that is "wifi" only work with broadband?
Do you mean broadband as in DSL and such? Or you mean the 3G Network?

If the former, most Broadband have wifi built in now days. If not you can get a cheap wifi router for less than 10 dollars.

If the latter, it is to prevent the 3G network becoming like AT&T's coverage in NY and SF. While the data plan says unlimited, there is a finite limit how much data the physical network can handle.

JohnnyDroid

Reaction score
Until flash comes out, Jetflicks is the best way I know to get a variety of tv shows with good resolution on 3g. I wonder if flash will be wifi-only too!

Danthok

Reaction score
Until flash comes out, Jetflicks is the best way I know to get a variety of tv shows with good resolution on 3g. I wonder if flash will be wifi-only too!

:icon_eek: Never thought of that, I hope not!

OP
J

jismail

Reaction score

If the former, most Broadband have wifi built in now days. If not you can get a cheap wifi router for less than 10 dollars.

If the latter, it is to prevent the 3G network becoming like AT&T's coverage in NY and SF. While the data plan says unlimited, there is a finite limit how much data the physical network can handle.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant 3G. I was hoping that apps like TV.Com could be forced to play over 3G via some hack or setting in either the app or the phone...

swallman

Reaction score

Sorry for the confusion, I meant 3G. I was hoping that apps like TV.Com could be forced to play over 3G via some hack or setting in either the app or the phone...

I was wondering the same thing - wanted to watch an old episode of Family Ties and the TV.com Android app would only let you watch if you're on a WiFi network. Why would they restrict it (unless Verizon requested it) ?