Why do certain apps start-up without me doing anything

jmwend

Reaction score
I use the program "Advanced App Killer" and it works great. The only issue is that when I start the App Killer it gives a list of apps that are currently running. Alot of the apps I don't even activiate, like Skype mobile, Slacker radio, FM radio; however, these apps appear on the list. I kill the apps and then a while later they appear again. Any ideas on why this is happening/ how to stop it??

Thanks

killer2239

Reaction score
Are you accessing the program again? Or an application that might tie into it in anyway? I personally dont use skype or slacker radio. I use pandora and it doesnt do that. Just on initial bootup of device. Skype might have service to run so people can call you or something so it auto starts. Not sure?

Prerunnerseth

Reaction score
I use the program "Advanced App Killer" and it works great. The only issue is that when I start the App Killer it gives a list of apps that are currently running. Alot of the apps I don't even activiate, like Skype mobile, Slacker radio, FM radio; however, these apps appear on the list. I kill the apps and then a while later they appear again. Any ideas on why this is happening/ how to stop it??

Thanks

There is a lot of information on this all over the net. Delete the app killer and forget about it. Android handles apps and memory very efficiently. Not like a windows device. Those app killers are completely unnecessary.

spurscar

Reaction score
Until there are more Menu -> Quit options in Apps (even included ones like Internet), I think the app has it's uses. I'm not a big fan of "leaving apps where they were" when you pressed Home.

It's probably years of training on how things used to be, but it still bothers me. :)

ThatGoddess

Reaction score
I actuallt have this same issue on my droid, my phone will react kind of slowly so I go to my running apps skype will have randomly started or yelp or any other random app. I don't have app killer or anything sketchy on my phone app wise. Anyone have some insight? It drives me nuts!

gcabral

Reaction score
i have same issue and use app killer constantly just because i can. not sure why these apps start on their own.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I use the program "Advanced App Killer" and it works great.

Get rid of it, You are causing more problems....Let the OS do it's job.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am really picky about what runs on startup. Although I am (sorta) tolerant of stock apps that do this, I regularly uninstall apps that needlessly run on startup. My browser doesn't need to do that (dolphin did and i complained), my music player doesn't (slacker radio uninstalled), my notepad doesn't (most of them)

Pianoman178

Reaction score
Did anyone actually answer this guy's question? Instead of jumping on him for using a task manager?

I have a couple apps that just start running. Without ME running them. Today I looked at my task manager and found Flickr, Peep, Footprints, Friend stream all running. I don't use any of them.

Why are these things running in the background at all? If they use 1kb of RAM, it is too much.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Did anyone actually answer this guy's question? Instead of jumping on him for using a task manager?

I have a couple apps that just start running. Without ME running them. Today I looked at my task manager and found Flickr, Peep, Footprints, Friend stream all running. I don't use any of them.

Why are these things running in the background at all? If they use 1kb of RAM, it is too much.

The OS starts them....

Why is 1kb too much?

You need to quit thinking how BB and WinMo devices operate.
This is Android, Watch this and learn...
Androidology (& Android OS Memory Management [task killers])

Pianoman178

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. That is a great video.

But I think my view remains valid. Why should the system start those 4 or 5 apps I mentioned if they are only going to be killed later to make room for an app that I actually do want to use?

You can't tell me that starting that app, saving it's state, killing it later, doesn't use battery power and resources. I know Android is great at managing processes, but I think it would improve everything if those processes (that I NEVER USE) wouldn't start in the first place?

Dokes

Reaction score
inTune Autostart as Battery drainer

I agree...................InTune radio is the one causing me problems, the topic is nor AppKiller.
inTune auto starts and drains 12% of my battery and I am not actively using it.
It is battery life that i am concerned with - not windows like memory.

Any way to stop apps for automatically loading ?