why built from source just plain ROCKS

Rhino413

Reaction score
well after a dedicated run with Bugless Beast I have made the jump to a built from source ROM (sapphire 1.0) and all i can say is WOW. it is night and day going from what is a modified stock rom leak/dump to a built from source rom
the source rom is quick and smooth the internal features are second to none and the amount of tweaks and mods are insane. BB was a great rom but really didn't offer much above the stock 2.2 experience Pete is a great I wish he would make the leap from tweaking stock roms to creating source builds. but tell then sapphire was won my loyalty.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/images/smilies/dancingDroid.gif

brando56894

Reaction score
I totally agree with you. Before froyo came out I was always rom hopping because I liked CM since it was built from source and included tweaks that no one else had but liked the "hacked" roms since they seemed to be themed better but had less "cool tweaks". I switched over to Sapphire about 2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it, especially since its completely different than cyanogen (not based off of team douche's work at all). Ill be sticking with them too, I wonder what the future will hold for them, cant wait to see what theyll do with gingerbread :D

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
built from source separates the men from the boys when it comes to ROMs haha...and yes it is a world of difference.

Jejackson

Reaction score
Anyone with sapphire 1.0, have you used the volume rocker to change songs and have it spaz out and continuously change songs until the playlist ended? Its a great feature that I will be patiantly waiting to be fixed since it works with Pandora too.

Slipstream

Reaction score
I switched from BB to Sapphire as well, and well in some cases it feels a bit faster (and certainly has more customization options), I don't see how it's as drastic a difference as you guys seem to make it out to be. Am I missing something, or is this one of those "zomg I reinvented the wheel so it MUST be better lolz" kind of things?

brando56894

Reaction score
The major difference between source based and "hack" based roms are that source based roms are continually upgraded since theyre built from the AOSP (the devs include the new code whenever its released) while hack based roms rely on update leaks to upgrade their core OS file. Heres a good article written by CVPCS of the Sapphire team (officially called crystal clear roms) that discusses the differences between CCroms and Cyanogenmod, and the differences between source based vs. hack based.

Anyone with sapphire 1.0, have you used the volume rocker to change songs and have it spaz out and continuously change songs until the playlist ended? Its a great feature that I will be patiantly waiting to be fixed since it works with Pandora too.

Maybe I dont have it enabled but my volume rocker just increases/decreases the volume for me on slacker and mixzing, maybe it only works for the stock music app?

Reaction score
all i know is i refuse to switch from cyanogen even if it's only a release candidate and not a full blown release...i tried numerous times before and it always felt like i was going from an S-class to a mustang (or worse)...

OP
Rhino413

Rhino413

Reaction score
@ slipstream

Well for starters sapphire's seamless themeing is great the themes cause little or no problems with the base build. And second the built in cpu controls blows setcpu and BBs cpu feature right off the planet. Also and as a whole every nuance of sapphire just clicks like it was ment to be in the rom. See being built from source means from scratch BB is nice but really just stock with some extras and most of those extras are wonky at best BB froze all the time regardless of kernel. Sapphire is just slick I love it.
Ps built in tether works on sapphire and not on BB
And on a side note I did a little experiment. When flash from one froyo rom to another I would wipe data three times then flash new rom this with out fail would always make the new rom somewhat wonky. So no I go into clockwork recovery go to partition then I reformat data cache sd ext well everything but the sd card three times each. When done the new rom runs flawless.

Jejackson

Reaction score

Maybe I dont have it enabled but my volume rocker just increases/decreases the volume for me on slacker and mixzing, maybe it only works for the stock music app?

It didn't work with slacker and I don't use MixZing, but its suppose to work when the screen is off and you hold down the button to change songs. Either way it not working is a big loss since the lock screen controls work as they should, its really a selling point to people that Droid Does

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I must say that at first I was quite skeptical about trying a rom other than BB especially after using Lithium Mod (didn't run well for me) but after switching to Sapphire I won't be flashing anything else for a while. I'll try BB .6 when it comes out because that's when Pete is going to start building from source but until then, Sapphire is the rom for me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Slipstream

Reaction score
The reasons all sound solid around why from source builds are better. And in most cases they ARE better, especially for adding functionality. But some of you guys make it sound like AOSP-based ROMs are the second coming of Jesus.:laugh:

So for reference, which ROMs are source-based? Obviously CM, and Sapphire... LithiumMod claims it as well. Are there others?

RaptorKC

Reaction score
I was running BB .4 for 5 weeks, patiently waiting for .5 to come out. Got tired of waiting.
Tried Chevy SS 4.6 for 2 days. Laggy on my phone.
Then tried Sapphire on Saturday. The BEST, fastest, smoothest ROM I have ever tried!! I will not be going to BB .5. Sapphire has totally sold me.

eliassami5

Reaction score
for ppl that say every new rom they are currently running is the fastest smoothest thing on the planet, i take their comments with a grain of salt. It reminds me of my brother, whenever we got a new toy he would immediately talk smack about the older toy regardless of if the older toy was better than the new toy. Dont get me wrong, i flashed sapphire 1.0 a week ago and ive been in love with it since then, save for the volume rocker music skip glitch. But its not a night and day difference, its the little things that count.

Like the previous 2.2 rom i was running if i went into a new text message field and hit menu then attach and tried to attach a slide show nothing would happen. Works like a charm in Sapphire.

OP
Rhino413

Rhino413

Reaction score
As I do see the point of your comment on how people jump to the newest build claiming its the best.

I can’t speak for all who responded to my op but as for me I purchased my droid and swore never to root or mess with it in any way. having used the phone stock for a few months I couldn’t take the boring UI and experience anymore so I rooted and flashed a 2.1 rom from bugless beast. and have been using them ever since. I did flash a SS rom and a Cyo rom in the mix of using BB but always went back to BB. This was because of what I deemed as clutter on those other roms was actually a superior set of modifications that I did not understand or how to use. Being a rooted and flashed droid user for some time now I researched every source and non source build I could find after a lot of flashing and re flashing I choose Sapphire for its quickness nice UI in gem settings and overall lack of bugs.
I am in no way saying its better than BB to be better would imply it’s in the same class as BB. It is not it is a new level a league above BB and any other rom I’ve tried. Does this mean a better one will not come along I would hope a better one does come along for you and me.

for ppl that say every new rom they are currently running is the fastest smoothest thing on the planet, i take their comments with a grain of salt. It reminds me of my brother, whenever we got a new toy he would immediately talk smack about the older toy regardless of if the older toy was better than the new toy. Dont get me wrong, i flashed sapphire 1.0 a week ago and ive been in love with it since then, save for the volume rocker music skip glitch. But its not a night and day difference, its the little things that count.

Like the previous 2.2 rom i was running if i went into a new text message field and hit menu then attach and tried to attach a slide show nothing would happen. Works like a charm in Sapphire.