why are droid apps so bad compared to iphone apps

tktouch12

Reaction score
i have an ipod touch and i'm about to get a droid. i've used the facebook app on both, and i cant figure something out. When the droid is supposed to rival the iphone, why is it's facebook app SSOOO much worse? why didnt facebook just make them the same pretty much? i'd be happy with the same layout?
i'm not asking how to get the full features (i dont want: "just use the mobile site")
i want to know what reason facebook (and other apps in general) are worse quality on the droid?
(i've been thinking and cant figure out why)
thanks

heem

Reaction score
Your message seems to say that all droid apps suck because the facebook app sucks. If facebook is the only thing you want to do with your phone then don't bother with a droid.

Yes, the facebook app needs work, and who is to say what politics are involved in that? Did you know that the guy that wrote the iphone app for apple has refused to further develop for apple because of their app store politics?

Perhaps its just going to take a couple versions for us to see a good app for facebook. In the meantime there's literally thousands of great apps for other things

PridgNYC

Reaction score
Maybe because Android developers have only had access to the SDK for a short period of time compared to iPhone developers, and the SDK is expanding every release. 2.0 only came out a couple weeks ago.

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
Ok thank you. To Heem, by all means I am not basing my entire view off the facebook app, and trust me I will b the guy with tons of apps and I will customize the heck out of that thing. I am sorry if I sounded otherwise.
And thank you that does make sense, I just am really excited about getting this phone and I want to make sure that there was a good reason, and not just that the droid is an afterthought to companies (afterthought to iPhone)
thanks again

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah it's what alot of people don't realize at the first thought of it, is that iphone and apps have been around for awhile, been able to fine tune things, while certain earlier apps from the G1 were able to be used on 2.0 with little ill effect, many could not. The SDK have really only been out i think 1-2 weeks longer then the phone.

BeefyBeefo

Reaction score
Yeah it's what alot of people don't realize at the first thought of it, is that iphone and apps have been around for awhile, been able to fine tune things, while certain earlier apps from the G1 were able to be used on 2.0 with little ill effect, many could not. The SDK have really only been out i think 1-2 weeks longer then the phone.

Yep. People think there are a lot of good apps out now...just wait! :eek::icon_ banana:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Development is jutting getting rolling my man.... just wait... Android will grow!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since my purchase of the phone and my install of probably 30 apps, at least once a day there is an update to one of the apps, if not multiple ones. :) I love seeing it, knowing they are there working crap out to get it working better.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen the updates almost continuously too... and not to mention this site has managed to draw DEVELOPERS here who are making themselves accessible for questions and suggestions. It's a great step in the right direction.

Big D

Reaction score
Hey speaking of updates, I was notified that there were updates on the phonne and while it was updating, my phone lost power.

Is there a place where I can check to see if there are updates to download?

heem

Reaction score
Hey speaking of updates, I was notified that there were updates on the phonne and while it was updating, my phone lost power.

Is there a place where I can check to see if there are updates to download?

go in the market, then press the menu button and into downloads. it will show which apps have updates available. Try to read the release notes on the updates if possible to decide if the update is right for you. Remember, just like everything else.. sometimes an update will break functionality. if your app is working just fine you might consider not doing the update right away.

J-Buck

Reaction score
i'm new, but this is just plain common sense. Ask yourself how long the DROID had been out... Then ask yourself how long the iPhone has been out. Just give it time for the developers to do work. Thats like expecting your kid how to read and write as soon as they come out the womb.

keiichi25

Reaction score
i'm new, but this is just plain common sense. Ask yourself how long the DROID had been out... Then ask yourself how long the iPhone has been out. Just give it time for the developers to do work. Thats like expecting your kid how to read and write as soon as they come out the womb.

Hey, everyone want's their kid to read and write as soon as they come out of the womb. That's called being a parent with high expectations.

coondogg97

Reaction score
Since my purchase of the phone and my install of probably 30 apps, at least once a day there is an update to one of the apps, if not multiple ones. :) I love seeing it, knowing they are there working crap out to get it working better.

The first thing I do in the morning after I get up is see if there are any updates to my apps. I get so excited when I see an update is available. How pathetic.......... :icon_rolleyes: